An iMac or Mac Pro for gaming / video editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NightStrikergp, Sep 19, 2008.

1. NightStrikergp macrumors newbie

I am currently a PC Desktop user. Macbook Pro user. My 2nd PC has started crashing, oddly enough a year after my other PC from the same company started crashing. Unfortunately no one is able to say for sure what the problem is and I'm looking at a pricey repair.

Needless to say after having my MBP and seeing how stable it is (even in Boot Camp) I am considering paying the extra amount and just going for a mac outright.

I was looking at both the iMac and mac pro. (The high end iMac and more or less the starting configuration for Mac Pro) The main issue is I still like to play games on the computer even though I've drifted off to consoles (just much better to sit on a comfy couch) However I do still play the occasional RTS and the one game I can never stop playing, World of Warcraft. So I don't absolutly need the best video card.

However the high end iMac uses the Geforce 8800 GS and runs on a 24 inch screen. I already have a 24" Dell Screen (which is old and on its way out anyways) With my current PC I have 2x ATI 2900 HD's in crossfire running and they cannot do WoW at 1920x1200 with almost everything on max. (Though i later read they were never the best cards anyways) So really I guess I'm wondering how powerful a Geforce 8800 GS is on a 24 inch screen.

I am aware on the Mac Pro I can exchange the video card (changing it to the Ati 3850 i believe was the model number?) But other then RTS games like Command And Conquer and such and WoW I don't game as much as I use to and if an iMac can play WoW with high settings I don't think I'd need much more. Ofcourse with an iMac i get a new screen.

The other factor is that I'm told by many people and from reading I should probably wait a month or two as the iMac might be going under a few changes (nothing major) and the Mac Pro might be updating in January.

So in the end I guess my questions are

Can the high end iMac work for me? Mainly for the gaming and video editing I do as I would like to try Final Cut Express?

Can the Geforce 8800 GS work well with the iMac's 24" screen?

Most importantly, can it Play WoW with high settings so I can kill the Alliance with ease? :D

Or should I try spending the extra money and going to a Mac Pro and maybe even buy an Apple Cinema Display to go along with it (though it is going over my budget a bit) ?

And finally should I do as I'm hearing and wait the month or two before buying an iMac (or trying survive till January if Mac Pro is the better option)?

Thank you for your advice and I apologize for the length of this post.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MacBook + gaming PC is the best solution in my opinion.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would have to agree.

Unless you NEED that MacPro, or plan on only playing the releases that are Mac compatible and take forever to be releaased, go with the MacBook and Real Gaming Rig from Dell or HP, or built yourself or by someone you know....

The money you'd spend on turning a MacPro into a gaming rig would be money wasted since it's a workstation with workstation GFX cards and those 8 core processors won't help your frame rates.

Video editing in to what extent? IMovie/FCExpress 4, or Final Cut Studio 2?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Everything sort of Motion 2 in the Final Cut Studio is quite capable on a MacBook a well. You already know that though. ;)

It looks like the OP has a capable gaming rig. It'd narrow down what's causing your problems before trying to but all your eggs into a Mac basket. I've found plenty of users complain about Windows crashes but they never try to find a solution.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iMac is a great machine, and you can connect your other screen to have two screens. WOW was developed for much older machines so there should be no problem running it at maximum on any Intel Mac, including the Mini.

We have no idea when the next updates will occur, aside from the regular updates in January. If you need the machine now, get it now. Otherwise wait until your desired machine is updated.

And unless you are doing 2hr 1080p HD movies, an iMac or single Quad-Xeon Mac Pro would be adequate. Also, IIRC, the top end iMac has an upgradable video card, so long as you want another Nvidia.

TEG

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes! I warn many about things like that. Switching to Mac doesn't mean that you won't run into any issues what so ever, maybe/sometimes/if your lucky/on any given day not as many, but there will be issues.

And as a Mac Zealot I will quickly tell someone that the Mac is not for them. Gamers are a big portion of that crowd.

And Yes, Motion 2 is the only app that will suffer (read won't run) on the Mac Book. If the OP is going to encode video via compressor or MPEG Streamclip or some other encoder than he/she may be waiting around for a while, but the Mac Book can handle all aspects of video production sans 3D titling.

7. NightStrikergp thread starter macrumors newbie

First let me thank everyone for responding, its appreciated. I wish I could have replied sooner.

Though I still play games I'm not much of a PC gamer anymore, World of Warcraft which doesn't need to have the best of the best is the main game, and when a new strategy game comes out which also really doesn't need an ultimate pc rig. And I guess that's why I started looking at Macs for a desktop, that and other things like using FCE. Having a MBP and experiencing OSX I just got use to it I guess. Sure it has its problems but I do like it better then windows.

The other reason I'm steering away from PC is that I don't want to get an HP, or Dell (bad experiences) (I'm Canadian so not too many choices) and I only have access to 2 custom builder stores, one charges way too much for parts and the other doesn't stand by the product. As is the case now. I have a PC custom built that they will not honor the warrenty and have told me that since they dont know what the problem is to just replace parts 1 by 1 until the problem is fixed. Granted the first part I replace can fix the problem and I'm only out a couple hundred dollars but I could end up replacing every part in the PC too.

Building a PC can be done and I can order the parts online but its difficult because I can't do it myself (disabled) and that means a friend has to do it for me, and if they screw up I could be out more money. So my choices are a mac or a custom built PC somewhere.

I do want to use FCE, it suits my needs for what I want to do for Video Editing there might come a time when I will want to use Final Cut Studio but that might not be for a good 2-3 years or more.

So since the MacPro seems to be more work station oriented then would an iMac if I go the mac route be the best option? (The high end iMacs)

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would have to say yes, the high end iMac would be the best choice for the all around FCE, etc machine.

The Mac Pro may be a tad bit for just FCE and everything else. And since you may not go Studio for another 2 or more years you could always pick up a faster machine (either workstation or all in one) then, along with the software.