An iMac purchasing conundrum...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cptrios, Nov 4, 2008.

1. cptrios macrumors newbie

So here's my story:

1. I want a new computer NOW. I hated this MacBook the second I learned what the GMA 950 was (I bought the thing in a hurry), and have been putting off the purchase of a new one for about a year now.
    2. The company I work for rather amazingly offers its employees a $1000 bonus every calendar year specifically toward the purchase of a new computer.

So, I really want to use that money for a 24" iMac because I want to do a lot of photo/audio work and the iMacs are just such better value for the money than the MBPs. I also want to be able to play the following games:

Medieval 2: Total War
    Empire: Total War (when it comes out)
    Company of Heroes
    Fallout 3
    Crysis might be nice (if only just to look at the purty pictures) but I'm really not much of an FPS person

The monkey wrench here is that I'm hoping to be moving out of the country next fall, which means I'll need a laptop. So in a perfect world I would have gotten one of the theorized new iMacs this year and saved my next year's bonus for a MBP. But alas, now there are none coming til at least January.

So the question is: will the 3.06ghz/8800GS iMac do everything I want it to do? Will I be kicking myself come January? What would YOU do in my situation?

Keep in mind that I'd likely be able to sell the iMac next year for around the same price I'll end up paying for it.

2. 2Sticky macrumors regular

It'll do what you want to do but if you will be missing out on anything on the next update is anyones guess.