An IMac with THIS would be flipping cewl!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by carfac, Apr 9, 2007.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I bought an iMac because it looked cool. High SAF (Souse Approval Factor). I got the wireless everything to tidy things up, no wores or mess.

I was looking around today, and spotted this:

[​IMG]

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

This is FLIPPING COOL!

Add this to an already cool iMac and wow! It is a bit expensive now, but that does not ever seem to stop Apple...

2. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, until you actually try to type on it...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sorry, need my tactile feedback. and you can't rest your fingers on the surface either, they have to 'hover'

sucks, imo.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...tactile feedback is a must for most of us...plus if it only comes in red, that doesn't match the carpet or the drapes.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yeah that might be fun to play with, and I'm sure once you get used to it you can probably get some more work done on your crackberry, but I doubt anyone could stand every day use.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I hope not...I need my keyboard, but maybe I'll have a different thought on that after I get my iPhone and get used to the touch screen...doubt it though, becase with iPhone the keypad is right next to the screen(its part of it really, but for typing it won't show the image) with this its apart from the Mac, so I can't look at both.

7. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Now I would never think this would do for a power user... but an iMac is not for a power user, either. In a year or so, this will probably be improved enough to be accurate and usable. Never have that "tactile" feel, that is for sure... but for just checking e-mail, browsing and light tasks, and something that reduces clutter, this is pretty cool... I think.

You are not going to have "tactile" feel on multi-touch screens, either... really.

I guess I am alone in that thought! Oh Well!

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thing is, the way in which you'd be using a multi-touch screen and this differ.

think about it, the iPhone, you'll be holding it where you can see what keys you're pressing as you type more often than not, no?
    also, if a multi-touch screen/computer came out, it'd be the same way, you'd be watching what you're doing instead of typing away without looking at the keyboard, which is what we do now. and i think this is why something like this is flawed. you don't use your eyes to type so much as you to touch, and you can't effectively converge the two with a device like this.

9. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I don't know about you but it matches mine:p

I'm not one who is much for tactile feedback. I still miss the sound of my old keyboard that clicked like a typewriter. It would be nice to shoot into your lap. How is that for feedback!

10. Deenoe macrumors newbie

My friend has one of those.

Not fun.. not fun at all.

11. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

But if you're caught tapping your lap in school, you could get expelled! :eek:

12. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

this sucks: you have to have a flat desk or anything, so there is no way of using that 'wireless' keyboard from let's say a few meters from your iMac in your couch.

13. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

it's a pita to use and setup.. I tried to "Setup" a unit on a Sony "High-End" laptop and the result no connection from 30 mins of trying to get the unit to work ..

14. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Didn't someone make a mock-up like this for a future iMac? It also projected the screen on the wall behind it.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think it's pretty cool, but could never replace a "real" keyboard. It does make sense for small devices that can't have a full-size keybord though.

16. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Nice idea but.... just pretend to type on your desk as if you had one of these, doesn't that hurt your fingers?

17. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

18. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

It would be good practice for the iPhone keyboard.;)

19. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

it's funny how the future was cast in the mid 20th century. Most of the stuff futurists back then said we would have by now would actually be annoying.

for instance, I HATE talking to a voice automated response system where the "person" tries to make you think you are talking to a real person, but 9 times out of 10 it says "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that".... GET THIS! <shoots phone>

anyway, this keyboard fits that description as well, all form, no function.

20. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I actually remember seeing this device on CSI Miami about one year ago and looking into it then. I came to the same conclusion pretty much everyone on here has, I need tactile feedback and my fingers would start to hurt tapping away on a hard surface that does not provide any cushion for my fingers (insert more cushion for the pushin' comment here _____________________).

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I for one have used one...and the tactile feedback 'problem' didn't really bother me, but really it is just ONE MORE THING to keep charged among loads of gadgets...

22. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

I totally agree with the tactile feedback, but for me, the tapping on the desk thing wouldn't bother me. That may be because i am a drummer, a smoker, have ADD, and drink about 6 Dr. Peppers a day, so i'm constantly tapping on something. I have actually numbed my fingers down, so tapping on things doesn't hurt anymore. Though, i still don't think it's practicle. Maybe it could shoot down on a pillow, for all you sensitive people. ;)

EDIT: Though this may be my ideal solution, since i hate the fact that my keyboard and wacom are competing for space. I could just shoot this ontop of the tablet.hmmmm.....interesting

23. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

coolness factor a+:D
    practicality c-:(

It would be impressive to show off, but I can't see it really being much more useful than a conventional keyboard, for a computer at least, pdas are a different story

24. JAT macrumors 603