An iMessage mystery...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hakr100, Mar 5, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

...at least to me.

I installed the iMessage beta on my Mac desktop. I'd like to be able to see "incoming" iMessages on both my desktop and my iPhone, no matter which device I happen to be using at a given moment. So, if I have iMessages out there on the desktop and then leave for a few hours, I want to see the responses on my iPhone AND on my desktop when I get back.

Whatever settings do this are a mystery to me. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. normanbates macrumors regular

iMessage needs to have 'receive at' set to your phone number and email address on your iPhone and your email address on your Mac

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have iMessage set to receive on my iphone at my iphone phone number and apple ID email address, and to my email address on my imac.

4. normanbates macrumors regular

Delete all current threads off both devices then. I had the same issue with my iPhone and iPad once I deleted the threads off them both and received a new one it delivered to both. I think it has something to do which ID receives the message first.

Like I had my iPhone for ages before my iPad and it was set to prefer my phone number for iMessage so when I got the iPad it wasn't delivering messages to it as each of my threads was a conversation via the phone number. I hope that makes sense (you only need delete the iMessage threads)