Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
lets be honest who cared how much the workers were making a day before the sucides and other incidents that have happened no one really cared everyone was happy to have there ipods iphones ipads hp devices amazon etc. Then it leaks out that such things have happened apple have to show a face on the subject so send new boss over to have a look. Frankly the working conditions look better than some places i have worked

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I've never understood this claim. Are you suggesting iPads and other electronics are sold at a discount in China? I doubt that. Yes the cost of living is lower, but that's also because the standard of living is so much lower. People can't afford to have their own apartments, their produce doesn't have nearly the diversity that ours does, etc. I think you can compare, and the result is that the quality of their lives is considerably worse than the American way.

That depends on your definition of "quality of life". You could also consider that the American Way is spoiled rotten.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I think the occupiers are wondering where you went. Grow up.

Who, making money, doesn't like large margins? Greed is good? Ayn Rand and all that other stuff...

The reality is, Apple has no incentive to take the hits monetarily. I think its immoral-but there's little you can do about it. Does that make me an occupier, or you someone who thinks that people make too much money in general aside from those your sympathize with who "really deserve it"?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I've never understood this claim. Are you suggesting iPads and other electronics are sold at a discount in China? I doubt that.

Which electronics do you refer to? There is plenty of cheap electronic stuff. If you want highly luxurious items like an iPad, then yes, they are very expensive. But that's an American company setting the price in China.

Yes the cost of living is lower, but that's also because the standard of living is so much lower. People can't afford to have their own apartments, their produce doesn't have nearly the diversity that ours does, etc. I think you can compare, and the result is that the quality of their lives is considerably worse than the American way.

Prove to me that the Foxconn workers' quality of life is considerably worse than the American way. Bear in mind that they've never experienced the Western way, so probably have the same satisfaction levels as American workers.

I really dislike the strong emphasis on folk from the US implying the American way is the best way of life. It's pretty ignorant.

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's really good to hear that the low wages, long hours, chemical exposures, and suicides were all fake and had finally been debunked. When I heard they had "suicide nets" I knew something didn't sound right. It's good to know the truth has finally come out that everything is just fine.

Thank you for pointing out that comparing wages from one country to another without taking the cost of living into account renders the comparison meaningless. It should be pointed out that in the video the reporter points out that the wages double after a couple of years.

Please understand, this is not meant as a judgement, positive or negative, about the working conditions and wages at Foxconn, or in China in general. Nor whether it is Apple's responsibility to pressure Foxconn to increase wages.

My comment is only in response to those who assert that the wages are poor. The question is...poor, relative to what and relative to the cost of living.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
What I would like to know is their standard of living expenses. If the average monthly rent is $50.00/mo, then $14.00 a day may be a decent rate of pay.

We don't know enough to assume it is exploitation.

No, in Shanghai, the average monthly rent is about $500.00/mo.

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
It's been a long time since I saw such primitive assembly processes in serial production - only posssible when human work is worthless!

here are a few examples of high-quality production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij0N1E_5dwk
No, that's not Pandora (despie the blue peolpe^^), it's Switzerland, people earning up to 60$/h making mass products with unparalleled efficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7nDqhNBWzo
Washing machine production at Miele. Also 40-60$/h - highly-trained craftsmen operating and maintaining complex machines, ergonomic manual workplaces - people work there for 45 years and retire without ruining their health!

Or (maybe more popular) just car production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCXFsQ6kKQ&feature=relmfu

All of these products are averagely priced (or at the higher end, just like Apple), made in large scale, very complex and contain a variety of production processes (electronic, metal, assembly...). None of these facilities higher the same quantity of production workers but a higher quality - that's sustainable, that's the future, not pushing lower standards, destroying millions of jobs and creating sub-standard ones in dictatorships just because it's convenient!

No, the IPad is neither cheaper nor better because it's made in China. BMW also tries to run production sites in countries with lower standards - they depend on the experience and QM of the core fabs and they're not more profitable (despite up to 10x lower wages)!

The consumer electronics industry has to learn a lot and Apple is in the position to start a new revolution for higher quality, higher standards and sustainable standards! How can California still be financially ruined when dozens of companies rooted there make hundreds of billions profit? Was it the same in Detroit 100 years ago when Henry Ford started his facility? Something is seriously rotten in our economy, that's for sure!

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Prove to me that the Foxconn workers' quality of life is considerably worse than the American way. Bear in mind that they've never experienced the Western way, so probably have the same satisfaction levels as American workers.

I really dislike the strong emphasis on folk from the US implying the American way is the best way of life. It's pretty ignorant.

If you want to buy goods on the international market, its much more expensive in China than the US. Its not that their way of life is worse at all, and its true some things are MUCH cheaper. However, as an American, I think I'd be less hostile to it all if people paid the Chinese closer to American wages, which could be afforded. IMPORTANTLY-Paying people in China would NOT result on them suddenly having the American way of life. I do not see how one could say "How dare you judge those people based on the fact you think their purchasing power for international goods is terrible!" Paying people fewer wages and pocketing the difference is business smart and might help the community a little. But that doesn't mean we think its fair when our factories are moved so people can't afford to make a product that we used to be able to buy...

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
No, in Shanghai, the average monthly rent is about $500.00/mo.

Yeah but Foxconn isn't employing people from Shanghai. That's why most of their factories are located deep in rural China.

That's like saying a wage of $20/hr is unlivable in rural Pennsylvania because apartments on Manhattan island can go for well over $3K/month, when in actuality you can live very comfortably on that wage in a place where rents are $400/month.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
What a stupid idea....

If Apple instituted incentive or bonus plans there, that would simply push the workers to work faster and for longer hours, so higher "goals" would be achieved. Under the circumstances, that doesn't sound at ALL like an improvement for them.

Apple could rectifiy that easily by recommending incentivie & bonus plans, which they could help fund by paying more for their devices but they won't because they love being greedy and high margins.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you want to buy goods on the international market, its much more expensive in China than the US. Its not that their way of life is worse at all, and its true some things are MUCH cheaper. However, as an American, I think I'd be less hostile to it all if people paid the Chinese closer to American wages, which could be afforded.

Again, the wages are relative. Things that cost $10 in the US don't cost $10 in China. You think that a banana that costs $1 in America costs $1 in China?

But that doesn't mean we think its fair when our factories are moved so people can't afford to make a product that we used to be able to buy...

So if I worked on a Ferrari production line, you think it is unfair that I'd never be able to afford one? What about people who work on Airbus or Boeing production lines, how awful it is they'll never own their own plane!

Come on, it doesn't matter what the product is they are manufacturing and how much that product costs and whether they can afford it themselves.

EDIT: I've responded to what I quoted there, but reading it back, I'm not even sure what you mean.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
...aaaaand this is how difficult that was to find out.
Google "average rent shenzhen", second hit (for me anyway):

http://www.startinchina.com/shenzhen/life/cost_of_living_in_shenzhen.html

Ok then, it seems they are underpaid.

Approx. wages: $420/mo
Average rent: $317.00/mo

Although food is very cheap, it does not look good.

You forgot that accommodation is covered by Foxconn.

Good Point.

That's what I mean, we don't know enough to assume exploitation.

Last edited:

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I can't believe with all the unemployment in the USA people are not pushing for some if not all of these jobs. I personally can't stand these big Corporations making hand over fist and don't take care of their own back yard. Billions in profit what a friggin joke when people here are starving. What happened to the good old USA pride. FYI I am not even from the States. I believe in making a profit but come on people give your head a shake.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Which electronics do you refer to? There is plenty of cheap electronic stuff. If you want highly luxurious items like an iPad, then yes, they are very expensive. But that's an American company setting the price in China.

You can buy cheap knock-off electronics in the US too, so I'm not sure what your point is. You are dodging the point I made. Stuff isn't less expensive there, rather it is that the stuff there is cheaper, and I'm not talking about price but about quality. You are claiming stuff is less expensive in China, can you prove that without ignoring the important differences between the products? Most of the "essential" items in an American's life would be considered luxurious by Chinese standards.

Prove to me that the Foxconn workers' quality of life is considerably worse than the American way.

No, I'm not going to go through the trouble of doing so. I thought I was conversing with someone who was knowledgeable about these matters. If you aren't already aware of what the typical life of a Chinese person is like, then I find that regrettable. You can insulate yourself in a bubble ignoring the external realities if you like, but you should at least be aware that many of us will find that behavior reprehensible.

Bear in mind that they've never experienced the Western way, so probably have the same satisfaction levels as American workers.

As if that is a reasonable metric to use. The satisfaction of the people isn't the issue here. What is at issue is that simply because of sheer luck, some are being born in a Western culture, with a life that will be considerably easier and more luxurious than the lives of those who didn't win the birth lottery.

I'm not American. I am looking at things from as objective a standpoint as I can though. Consider this thought experiment. Imagine before you were born, and before you had formed any cultural identity, cherishing the values that you do, you had to choose between being born in a Western society or in the much more impoverished Eastern one, which would you choose? I'd wager, and yes this is an unprovable conjecture that appeals to common-sense and your sense of the reasonable, that everyone would choose the former option.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
It's really good to hear that the low wages, long hours, chemical exposures, and suicides were all fake and had finally been debunked. When I heard they had "suicide nets" I knew something didn't sound right. It's good to know the truth has finally come out that everything is just fine.
Is that sarcasm? I hope it's sarcasm.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
That depends on your definition of "quality of life". You could also consider that the American Way is spoiled rotten.

Granted, it is spoiled rotten, but are you suggesting a life of hardship, poverty, and disease is better than the luxurious life of safety and health?

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Too bad 14 RMB won't even buy them a meal at McDonalds in China
Good thing that $14 will buy them 4 or 5 meals at McDonalds in China. Although that's still kind of expensive and I fail to see the attraction.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Again, the wages are relative. Things that cost $10 in the US don't cost $10 in China. You think that a banana that costs $1 in America costs $1 in China?

You think people in China have banana's all year around? Their food might be cheaper than ours in the West, but our diet is far more luxurious than theirs, and that's the main reason why our produce is the price that it is. We don't only ever eat what's produced locally and in season, and that's a significant reason why the cost of our food increases to the levels that it does.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
So if I worked on a Ferrari production line, you think it is unfair that I'd never be able to afford one? What about people who work on Airbus or Boeing production lines, how awful it is they'll never own their own plane!

How many hours do they work in a year? What's their salary like?

Come on, it doesn't matter what the product is they are manufacturing and how much that product costs and whether they can afford it themselves.

Agreed, what matters if what their money can buy, that is, what kind of life their money provides them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.