An interesting real-world "benchmark"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WytRaven, Jan 30, 2010.

1. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I just did any interesting "benchmark" of my machine.

Back in my PC days I backed up my entire CD collection to the FLAC lossless audio format using a Windows app called MediaMonkey. I went through the painful task of getting album art for everything at the same time. So today I decided it was about time that I imported it all into iTunes ready for when I get my iPad in a few months.

I set up the Max audio ripper/converter to decode my entire FLAC library, extract album art, extract other meta data, encode 320Kbps/VBR AAC, embed meta data, embed album art, and save results to a new folder on my RAID (mode 0, 2 x WD RE3 1TB). Max is multi threaded so I configured it to use 16 threads.

My library consists of 3212 tracks. The machine is an Octocore 2.66GHz Xeon Nehalem Mac Pro with 12GB of RAM.

Time taken?

48 minutes... :eek:

That even surprised me! Especially considering Time Machine started backing up somewhere in the middle of that and I have no idea how long it was running before I caught it and stopped it. :mad:

2. diamondschwin macrumors member

so is this bad or good? your post is very vague....

3. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Sounds like the op is happy due to the "That even surprised me" comment.

4. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Such a short time because you're decoding from an already extracted source on your hard disk. Try doing it all over again from your CD source instead. I bet you won't get 48 minutes flat. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. nycaleksey macrumors member

nycaleksey

Sorry for an OT, but did you have lyrics tagged into your FLACs and if yes were you able to preserve them in ALACs?