An Interesting Thought About Push Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dalcorn1, Jul 10, 2008.

1. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

If i get woken up at 3 in the morning with my message alert tone for some piece of junk mail i am not going to be happy! :)

It would be nice if they added the ability to silence the phone at certain time periods of the day. Although it's far too unimportant to implement but worth noting that it will almost definately happen that we'll get email messages at stupid o clock being pushed through.

2. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

surely thats what the silence switch is for ??

3. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

does the silence switch silence the alarm though? and also i want to hear the message tone if people text me or ring me. in case of emergencies and what not.

4. rayward macrumors 65816

Try it. Set the alarm for one minute hence and then set the phone to silent.

5. gazzer82 macrumors regular

This would be quite handy, i get show reports from various places in various timezones every day and therefor some of them arrive in the wee early hours!! On my work Nokia you can set on and off peek times, then turn push off for off-peak times.

I don't think there is any way to this through exchange so it would be up to the device, so in this instance the iPhone.

6. johnnydeee macrumors newbie

Just a quick thought...

You know that little black switch on the top left side of your iPhone if you slide it a bell appears on your screen with a cross through it, I wonder what that does!

EDIT: Didn't see the other posts before I added this!!!

7. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Makes toast?

8. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Just so you know, if you silence the phone you can still hear the alarm. Cheers

9. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

well that serves you right for being so sarcastic!:D

actually i just got a push mail through now. I forgot the email notice isnt very load at all so it's not so bad anyway. Could wake a light sleeper up though.

10. gazzer82 macrumors regular

I guess the other advantage to disabling push between certain hours would be to save battery life due to data usage. Or indeed just data usage in general if your in Canada.

11. tomccabe macrumors regular

tomccabe

BB does have the ability to set profiles that control all aspects of sound/vibration. i'd like to see that (with search email and copy/paste dammit!!!).

12. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

You can do that now.. Just go into Prefs, Sounds, and flip Mail to off.. I do that every night before bed and flip it back on in the morning

13. mbaran macrumors regular

can you just turn off new email notifications?

i have a habit of just checking for mail in my pocket every so often..

14. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

i think i should have mentioned i am incredibly lazy and want things like this just done for me :)

15. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Hmm i feel and app to turn mail notifications on and off coming too an app store near you soon!! :)

16. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Have a Treo today, hope to have an iPhone tomorrow. One nice free app I have for the Treo is I set it to turn off and sound off from 9 pm - 7.30 am during the weekdays. Never get woken up from it at night. Hopefully there will be an app for the iPhone similar to this.