An iPad 2 as a gift for someone who never had a computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GodWhomIsMike, Mar 3, 2011.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

So, my Mom is interested in learning the computer so she can surf the web, do some online shopping, e-mail, and other light stuff. Do you folks think an iPad 2 would be an ideal substitute? She had no knowledge of navigating around any type computer of computer platform, and for her needs, it seems like light web browsing would be the extent of which this machine would be used?

So iPad 2 or a full computer? I was hoping for one of those CR-48 systems from Google, but they only seemed to send those out randomly, especially to people who turned around to make a quick buck by selling them.

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Personally I'd think the iPad would be a great device for her. I'm thinking about getting a 2 for my dad. He's computer savvy but I think a simplified device like this would be even better. He doesn't think he'd use it but I know he would. To me the OS seems very straight forward but I know it's more complicated than that. Do you have an iPhone, if so, has she ever used it?

3. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

She'll be 60 later this year, and she's not all that great with learning technology. :p The pricing of the original iPad looks attractive, but for $100, the iPad 2 would be a lot faster, plus she could facetime with my brother and sister, both of who have the iPhone 4 and live far from home, and she could take video and photos with it. I'd get her the WiFi only version, as I don't see her taking it places, and the WiFi connection they have 20 Mbps (up and down).

The question now is, is the 16GB good enough, or jump for the 32GB?

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Sounds like an ideal solution. Facetime with family really is an awesome thing imho. I thought I'd hate it but it truly has created some great moments for me. A computer would give her so much more to do but it sounds like she wouldn't really use it. And we all know the fun that's created when something goes wrong with a computer...

5. aluren macrumors 65816

I think the 16GB is more than enough. Since she doesn't have a computer, she's not gonna be uploading music and video to it. The only thing to worry about is if she downloads a bunch of games from the app store, which she probably won't do either.

But yeah, the iPad 2 is perfect for newbies. I'm thinking of getting one for my dad as well. Now I just gotta somehow get Wifi set up...

6. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing as well. With this, I don't have to worry about her killing things, deleting things, grabbing up viruses, and rendering it unbootable.

7. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

One other thing I just thought of, if she doesn't have a computer, does she have wifi in the home? Or are you planning to get her a 3g version? As aluren alluded to, since she doesn't have a computer, you'd need to assist her with backing it up and syncing data. Is that realistic?

8. 03sho macrumors 6502a

9. orangerock macrumors regular

She sounds just like my mother-in-law. We got her an iPad for Christmas and she thanks us nearly every time we see her...Loves it! Mainly because "it just works" and does everything she wants online, like you mentioned surf, email, photos, apps. She loves Netflix and most everything she's interested in is an icon or a 2 step process at most.

10. orangerock macrumors regular

Forgot to mention...I set it up on my Mac and do the updates for her. The iPad is the only computer device she has in the house other than the AirPort Express.

11. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Im considering an iPad 1 for my 85 yr old mother, who actually has and uses a desktop pc for email, facebook (yes FB) and of course checking the lottery numbers,lol...but her desktop is in a different room than she likes to sit so an ipad is perfect.

Going with the ipad 1 for cost as the added expense and features of a new one would be lost on her...however the face time would be nice so she could use it with us and her grandson...decisions decisions

Also I was considering to drop her internet service at home and just get her a 3g plan for the ipad which would be cheaper per month...she wouldnt consume much data anyway.

12. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Dad has a laptop, and there is a wireless router in their living room with 20 Mbps internet service. He can sync her iPad to his laptop from time to time.

13. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I replaced my mothers (in late 60's) desktop computer with an iPad. She found the computer complicated and rarely used it. Now she emails, watches Netflix, plays crosswords, FaceBooks, and more with her iPad. She loves it.

I think I might get her the new one so she can FaceTime with her grandchildren.

14. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am hoping for similar results.

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502

I bought my mum a 3G iPad and she has never used a computer in her life. She was soon at home surfing the net and downloading apps. With Google Docs and WiFi printing, there is absolutely no need for her to have anything else.

16. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am leaning for towards the WiFi version than the 3G version. I don't see her taking it out with her, and I don't see her being too keen on spending $20-$25/month on data plan she likely won't be using.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Las year a good friend bought an iPad.

Before doing so i must point out - He has never used a computer was on about taking night classes to learn how to use a computer. He was getting himself worked up about it.

I suggested he try the iPad I had bought and showed him how to surf the Internet (never done it before), listen to music, read books, view photos, play scrabble. And because of IOS he 'got it' and because it was so intuitive it didn't take weeks of computer classes for him to achieve his goal.

He bought his own iPad, and a HP E-Print printer and is as happy as Larry with his decision. It does everything he needs and more. The iTunes app store Eco system makes buying the odd bit of software a breeze and keeping his software upto date as simple as clicking a button.

For the computer illiterate the iPad is a revelation.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

My mom is 48 and we got her one for mothers day last year and she loved it. She took to it in immediately and I taught her most basic things and she figured everything else out. My mom didn't even know how to turn on any computer. She loves to surf the web and help my brother with his homework. It worked out so well she is willing to sell her old one to get the new one and cover the difference. Woo new iPad and everyone is happy, the only thing is she picks the color. I want white she wants black

19. CT1stMaxedOut09 macrumors member

I would say that the iPad is a very good device for someone that has never used a computer to use. For example my grandmother loves using the iPad and she doesn't even know how to power on a laptop, lol. Hope that helped somewhat...

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Elderly populations a hidden market

IMO the elderly is a gem of a market for Apple to target. Especially now with FaceTime. I'm very computer savvy and I like my iPhone and iPad for their simplicity. No messing around, just click/touch and enjoy.

I'm going to purchase a 3G ne for my parents before summer. Mine are in their late 70's and are most interestedn researching things online and viewing family photos that I keep online.

There will be a little training but overall they should soar rather quickly. Mainly because you can't really screw an iPad up so there should be no reason they will fear trying anything.