Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Some people ask where an iPad fits in if you have a laptop or an iPhone. I wondered also, but now I get it.

One reason I'm looking forward to my iPad is because right now, I'm lying in bed typing from my iPhone on landscape. I can't see anything like the MacRumors interface, and if I hit Next or Previous by accident, I can delete my entire post like I did yesterday.

So I could go to my desktop, but I don't want to. That requires sitting up with dual HD monitors in my eyes. I could get my MBP laptop. I'd have to bring that heavy thing in with a lap desk and the power cord just to casually surf the web a bit while watching TV? Nah. A laptop's good for doing serious work, not casual pre-bedtime surfing. That's why I'm on my iPhone, and THAT is why I look forward to receiving the iPad this month.

NOW I know its purpose despite having other devices.

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Some people ask where an iPad fits in if you have a laptop or an iPhone. I wondered also, but now I get it.

One reason I'm looking forward to my iPad is because right now, I'm lying in bed typing from my iPhone on landscape. I can't see anything like the MacRumors interface, and if I hit Next or Previous by accident, I can delete my entire post like I did yesterday.

So I could go to my desktop, but I don't want to. That requires sitting up with dual HD monitors in my eyes. I could get my MBP laptop. I'd have to bring that heavy thing in with a lap desk and the power cord just to casually surf the web a bit while watching TV? Nah. A laptop's good for doing serious work, not casual pre-bedtime surfing. That's why I'm on my iPhone, and THAT is why I look forward to receiving the iPad this month.

NOW I know its purpose despite having other devices.

I would probably use it for this purpose more once multitasking hits. I need AIM running in the background constantly while im using the computer to talk to people.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well you have some points, unoriginal and often spoken points, but points nonetheless. What is funny is that you consider a MBP to be "heavy".

Either way, the iPad either fits in your digital life or not. Case closed.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
For me, it was always the portability of it that intrigued me. I was tired of toting around my 13" MBP all the time. To date, I have sold my 32GB iPod Touch and my 13" MBP. Time will tell if I will/can sell my Kindle too.

I can see where having all of them is nice, but like I said, for me it was about cutting down on my daily carries. My handbag was too heavy and cramped.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I've got an iphone 3gs and a Macbook Air. I told myself I didn't need an iPad. I then played with one for a long while. I don't need one. But, I just ordered one! (32gig 3G)

If I can truly access my imac from the road via a good VNC, I might sell my Air.

I told my wife I was buying one. Told her it was a total toy, wasn't planning on using it for anything but playing around. So, I'm being realistic. Total toy until proven otherwise.

But, we make good money and love apple stuff. Life is good.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Don't feel a need to justify my purchases; but at first I derided it like many people as just being a big iPod Touch, and then I tried surfing the web on a friend's and it was a wholly different experience from what I was expecting. It's an almost indescribable experience, flicking through those webpages that way.

Magical does a pretty good job of it.

That's why I'm getting it despite my two desktops, my laptop, my nook, and my 3GS iPhone.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Actually I couldn't justify having a MacBook pro, iPhone and a iPad. So I sold my MacBook pro and bought the i7 iMac and use my iPad around the house for the basics. I just feel like I'd neglect either the iPad or laptop when sitting on the sofa. Although I do miss video editing on the sofa.

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2009
China
If I buy an ipad it seems logical to just get rid of the iphone, and not even think of getting a iphone HD.
I barely use the iphone apps, just read news when I'm waiting, or email a bit or some notes.

I think I'd rather carry around an empty backpack with just an ipad in it, and get some throw away phone.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It's tough to justify when I have an iPhone and a 13" MBP. I need the power of the Macbook for most school tasks, and when I'm out and about I need the portability of the iPhone.

I think the optimal situation for needing an iPad would be if you have a desktop/iMac and no laptop. I could see the iMac, iPad, iPhone combo much easier than I can see the MBP, iPad, iPhone combo.

That being said, if you've got the disposable income for it, just go nuts! The thing is great :)

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I sit on the couch Now and lay relaxed with a movie on the screen and me laying in the couch with my iPad held like a newspaper; reading the web.

Do I honestly want to go back to my computer or a laptop after this luxury?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have a Mac pro, MacBook pro, iPhone 3GS and there isvstill room in my life for the iPad :). Love the device it's just so handy.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
I have a Mac pro, MacBook pro, iPhone 3GS and there isvstill room in my life for the iPad :). Love the device it's just so handy.

Ah. How do you do it? :) I have a Mac mini hooked up to my TV for watching media and playing emulators (bought only for those purposes), a MBP which is my main Mac, and a 3GS. I want to get an iPad for the same reasons the OP does: iPhone is for on-the-go and not so great for home. I just feel like I'd have too much stuff, you know? Like maybe I should give my mini to my mom or something. But I do love watching Netflix on my TV while surfing… which is all the more reason to get an iPad. :D

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I was mostly unconvinced by the iPad, though I thought I'd probably get one despite owning an iMac, a MacBook and and iPhone. Also a netbook, and a Sony ebook reader, and a couple of iPods with all my music on them!

Like many, I didn't see where an iPad would really fit in, and what use it would be.

However, it has proven invaluable. I use it at work where users email me pre-formatted trouble tickets which I pick up on the iPad and can respond to immediately without having to center my work on my office. The iPad allows me to carry my reference books and guides with me, and to do online research and take and save notes and reminders while working on user faults, then complete the trouble ticket and email it back to the user, detailing what was wrong and what was done to resolve it.

At the same time, the iPad lets me log into the servers remotely if there are any issues with user accounts or data, and even to provide access to training videos and guides if required.

I've done all this with a MacBook before, and even tried a tablet PC in the past with somewhat unsatisfactory results. By comparison to these, the iPad is lighter and significantly more portable for a busy work day, and allows me to work far more efficiently - meaning I can structure my work day much more effectively.

And that's without also considering the instant-on leisure time use for casual internet access, quick and easy email, forum participation such as this, ebook reading, games, news and current affairs reading, occasional video.....

Meantime the iPhone is still a phone for calls and texts, and internet access on the road, and the MacBook is still useful for downloading and organizing documents and books (not from the iBook store) and for longer emails and running all the MacOS apps I need. The iPad fits right in.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
ya kinda have to have a laptop too and phone. iphone is small to take with you anywhere, the iPad is big for browsing the web and playing games but unfortunately with lack of flash, i still need to go to my laptop. it's annoying. i'll come to a page that uses flash. it's something i really need to view too. maybe it's something a co-worker sent me that i need to view. but i can't. have to get up and go to the laptop. i'd say this is the biggest downfall of the iPad. it's a shame.

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Damn, its been a whole year since ive been introduced to the macbook pro by my buddy. Before that was the iphone and nothing else. since last year ive expanded my tech life with Apple. Bought two Macbooks last year, a MBP 15 and MB 13. Since then ive upgraded to a 3GS. 4 months ago and i bought a Mac Mini used for HTPC setup on my Flatscreen. And now i bought the Ipad, i know it will fit in my everyday tech savvy life. In the future im thinking about getting a i7 IMac.

LIFE IS GOOD:D

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Damn, its been a whole year since ive been introduced to the macbook pro by my buddy. Before that was the iphone and nothing else. since last year ive expanded my tech life with Apple. Bought two Macbooks last year, a MBP 15 and MB 13. Since then ive upgraded to a 3GS. 4 months ago and i bought a Mac Mini used for HTPC setup on my Flatscreen. And now i bought the Ipad, i know it will fit in my everyday tech savvy life. In the future im thinking about getting a i7 IMac.

LIFE IS GOOD:D

Haha. It all started for me with my first ipod. I owned several other brand MP3 players, not wanting to be an apple ipod person that I would routinely laugh at... "they drink the apple kool-aid!"

Then I finally got my first ipod. It was flawless. I kept thinking if they make an mp3 player this well, I've gotta try an imac. Got a white 17" C2D imac. Then the iphone 3G gave me corporate outlook support and I was inline on day 1.

Then it was, damn this imac and iphone are awesome. Get a macbook air for the road. Then the 3GS. Then a 21.5 aluminum imac.

Now I have an 3G ipad on order and I'm still enjoying the apple kool-aid! Addictive stuff.

Hi, I'm Scott and I'm an Apple Whore.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I've got an iphone 3gs and a Macbook Air. I told myself I didn't need an iPad. I then played with one for a long while. I don't need one. But, I just ordered one! (32gig 3G)

If I can truly access my imac from the road via a good VNC, I might sell my Air.

I told my wife I was buying one. Told her it was a total toy, wasn't planning on using it for anything but playing around. So, I'm being realistic. Total toy until proven otherwise.

But, we make good money and love apple stuff. Life is good.

Well said Scott. Pretty much where I'm at, except I don't think I'll sell my Air....just like it too much even though it will be lonely when iPad 3G arrives next week. My wife loves her WiFi iPad (after not wanting one..hands on did it to her) and I'm lucky to have one to play with until 3G arrives. So yes actually my Air is feeling a bit neglected already!!!!!

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Haha. It all started for me with my first ipod. I owned several other brand MP3 players, not wanting to be an apple ipod person that I would routinely laugh at... "they drink the apple kool-aid!"

Then I finally got my first ipod. It was flawless. I kept thinking if they make an mp3 player this well, I've gotta try an imac. Got a white 17" C2D imac. Then the iphone 3G gave me corporate outlook support and I was inline on day 1.

Then it was, damn this imac and iphone are awesome. Get a macbook air for the road. Then the 3GS. Then a 21.5 aluminum imac.

Now I have an 3G ipad on order and I'm still enjoying the apple kool-aid! Addictive stuff.

Hi, I'm Scott and I'm an Apple Whore.

Damn LOL, i forget to add the ipod. I bought the PIcture version in the summer of 2005 then after that the video one came out and i got that one too. LOL back then i was like eh its just an ipod, who is Apple ????LOL

doublebullout

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
Shreveport, LA
I think I'd rather carry around an empty backpack with just an ipad in it, and get some throw away phone.
I'm thinking the same thing. I currently have an Android phone that acts as both my phone and my PDA. Honestly, tracking tasks and typing notes on a smartphone is kind of a pain. But the idea of using the iPad and that glorious screen as a PDA with a cheap feature phone for calls is very intriguing.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Actually I couldn't justify having a MacBook pro, iPhone and a iPad. So I sold my MacBook pro and bought the i7 iMac and use my iPad around the house for the basics. I just feel like I'd neglect either the iPad or laptop when sitting on the sofa. Although I do miss video editing on the sofa.

Same situation here...17" Hi Res MBP (Upstairs), iPhone, 24" iMac (Downstairs). I will most likely sell my MBP, get the 3G 64gb iPad and buy a 27" i5 or i7 once they solve the display issues.

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego
i bought my ipad last nite, its exceeding my expectations!

i also have an iphone n macbook. and i doubt i will be using the MB much anymore. this ipad is superfast n responsive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.