Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Let's face it. World of Warcraft is old, it feels old, and it looks like an older game with a good art style. But still, the game is addicting and pulls together well. I was an avid subscriber three years ago, and lost interest. I've tried getting back in, but I realized how much I'd rather be playing WoW in a new way, on a new platform. The iPad could be that platform.

Not only is there huge potential for a really great interface and control method, but Blizzard's huge budget for optimization could lead to really good graphics and smooth gameplay. Practically every iPad owner who plays WoW would pay for this, and many WoW players would buy an iPad just to have a nice portable tablet to play it on. I'd much rather pay $x (x could be 0) for the iPad game and pay the $15/month for access on the iPad and Mac.

Storage could be an issue, but I do remember when WoW was 4GB, so good optimization of this as well, could work to bring the size of the game down for iPad owners to play, maybe even with good streaming technology of resources as the trial and streaming client use.

Jarmel

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Please god no. I wouldn't stop playing. That's like waving an endless bag of cocain in front of a recovering addict.

badmac78

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Atlanta
Let's face it. World of Warcraft is old, it feels old, and it looks like an older game with a good art style. But still, the game is addicting and pulls together well. I was an avid subscriber three years ago, and lost interest. I've tried getting back in, but I realized how much I'd rather be playing WoW in a new way, on a new platform. The iPad could be that platform.

Not only is there huge potential for a really great interface and control method, but Blizzard's huge budget for optimization could lead to really good graphics and smooth gameplay. Practically every iPad owner who plays WoW would pay for this, and many WoW players would buy an iPad just to have a nice portable tablet to play it on. I'd much rather pay $x (x could be 0) for the iPad game and pay the $15/month for access on the iPad and Mac.

Storage could be an issue, but I do remember when WoW was 4GB, so good optimization of this as well, could work to bring the size of the game down for iPad owners to play, maybe even with good streaming technology of resources as the trial and streaming client use.

$9.99 seems to be the number that folks like to charge. If WoW could pull of something like OnLive ... and maybe include wii like controls through the iphone. Would be interesting (ok .. too far).

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Warcraft will never happen on the iPad, for the same reasons Blizzard has ruled out console versions.

So I suggest you try POCKET LEGENDS, a 3D MMO for the iPad and iPhone. It's even free.

Wimmachine

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I've been playing since beta, raid ICC 3 nights a week, and follow the game and development very closely. I can say with certainty that this will never happen.

The only WOW-related app that will appear on the iPad is the Armory app.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Nothing like the ol' $14.99 per month to preserve your virginity.

World of warcraft and dungeons and dragons threads in the same day......WoW!

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I've been playing since beta, raid ICC 3 nights a week, and follow the game and development very closely. I can say with certainty that this will never happen.

You spent a down payment on a house on games. Awesome or? You decide.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
my undead rogue has been wielding an iPad in the off hand for quite some time now.

Going to make this a blue post for kicks even though it's not an official blue post :p

While I would love to see the game ported, The game is wayyy to complex for a handheld device without a keyboard or mouse. And Blizzard would never condone it simply because players using an iPad would have either an unfair advantage or be at a disadvantage when playing. Everyone knows how sensitive Blizz "attempts" to be when it comes to game balance.

That said, I do think that Blizz is at a loss if they don't jump on the iPad band wagon and develop a game specifically for it. (not WoW) . They are already exploring the possibilities. They have developers who are familiar with the iPhone OS as they are currently finishing work on the Armory App.

So the possibility of a full fledged game is certainly being looked into at the least.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada

Yes but just think soon we will be able to manage auction house transactions away from the game.. It is one of the things Blizzard is working on.

Wimmachine

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Yes but just think soon we will be able to manage auction house transactions away from the game.. It is one of the things Blizzard is working on.

Yup. I know many people who are waiting for this. Running the AH while you are at work, on the bus, etc is going to be crazy. However, the last rumor I heard was that this functionality might not be free...

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if we'll start to see big-time games like this ported over at all? I can't imagine how you'd control it properly, but it would be an interesting experiment.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I finally tried WoW last week and gave up a half hour in. so boring to me. It is probably because I am burnt out on repetitive MMORPGs from many years of RuneScape.

nsorrelle

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
The game would have to be redone, as there's no way it could run in its current state on the iPad, especially in highly populated areas.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Well one could:
1. technically port over the Mac version of WoW to the iPad ( not sure if that's even technically possible)
2. Jailbreak it to install the app
3. Create a private WoW server to host the users.
4. And somehow layer controls over the app or allow for external controllers

Then you could have a WoW iPad server .... Call the server "Tichondripad"

PDelahanty

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Boston, MA
I just want Starcraft II on the iPad. That would be AH-MAZING!

(I'd settle for being able to use my beta key for an actual Mac version of the beta.)

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Well one could:
1. technically port over the Mac version of WoW to the iPad ( not sure if that's even technically possible)
2. Jailbreak it to install the app
3. Create a private WoW server to host the users.
4. And somehow layer controls over the app or allow for external controllers

Then you could have a WoW iPad server .... Call the server "Tichondripad"

Keep in mind the current WOW gameplay folder size is almost EIGHTEEN GB.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
I have zero interest about ever going back to WoW, but I think it would be too hard to play it on the iPad. At least on PvP servers. You would have to somehow macro it out IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.