Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C1raider

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Okay, I have a serious questions. I am not an apple hater, I own a mbp13 and LOVE IT, slightly overpriced, but LOVE IT. I am having a hard time understanding this ipad pandemic, why do people want them. And, I'm not talking about the rich family that lives is the wealthy neighborhood who bought it for their kids. Or the retired author that wants a portable reading device that can also surf the web, send the occasional email, and maybe watch a video through netflix (idk if the ipad is compatible with netflix). I mean, 15 MILLION in nine months. What are the majority of people doing with these oversized itouches, and I'm not trying to be cynical I seriously DONT UNDERSTAND.

Also keep in mind just because it has the capability to do something doesnt mean its the best at it. Example, saying the ipad can be used to write a paper or an email needs to be backed up by why users would PREFER to use the iPad instead of a laptop for that purpose. I dont get why users would prefer the iPad to other devices that have the same capabilities and maybe, imo, easier to use.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) felt like this before they actually got one. Probably the only way you would understand is if you could use one for a few days.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I dont get why users would prefer the iPad to other devices that have the same capabilities and maybe, imo, easier to use.
For me, it is all about the form factor, the quick start up times, and the fact that it doesn't give off excessive heat like most laptops.

C1raider

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
anybody else? Maybe a better way to ask, What do YOU DO with your Ipad? Would you call it your laptop REPLACEMENT?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
What are the majority of people doing with these oversized itouches, and I'm not trying to be cynical I seriously DONT UNDERSTAND.
You might not be trying to be cynical but when you discount them simply as "oversized itouches", that's exactly how you sound. Sorry. :(

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sounds like you aren't the target
I don't ever try to convince people something is right for them

For me, it isn't a laptop replacement, but it is a great supplement for my MBP, and my iPhone 4

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You might not be trying to be cynical but when you discount them simply as "oversized itouches", that's exactly how you sound. Sorry. :(

But that's exactly what they are. I don't hear you trying to answer his question!

MacDawg (or anyone else who has one) What do you do on it? I'll walk into an Apple store, and there's no desire at all... last time I tried playing with one, it only made me mad that Angry Birds isn't out for Windows Phone 7 til March. I (along with the OP) may not be the target audience, but I feel like I'm missing something.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Sit in your easy chair one night while watching TV for a couple of hours with your MBP13 in your lap...then set it aside on the table when you get up...when you sit back down and you think of something you want to search..grab it again and sit in your lap etc etc etc...then do the same with an Ipad...you'll get an idea.:)

biw999

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
I too wondered what the big deal was with the iPad. I already had a laptop and an iPhone 4 so where could the iPad fit into that equation? Well I bit the bullet and purchased one last week and it has *almost* replaced my laptop. Obviously you still need a laptop to update, download songs(not iTunes), putting said songs onto iPad, etc, but other than that I don't use my laptop anymore. The iPad is much faster and the web browsing experience is very intuitive compared to that of a laptop.

Before anyone asks why would I buy an iPad so close to the potential release of the second generation iPad, Im going to be returning it on the 10th for a refund. Still within the 15 days I have to return it to walmart. So while I wait for the 2, I'll be enjoying my original iPad.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
It's the watching video on my lap for hours that I don't get. With a laptop, it rests on my lap. Do iPad users hold it up for hours on end? Doesn't your arm get tired or neck get tired from craning it?

To me the iPad is for those that want the ultimate in portability - you can't use a laptop standing up, or in really cramped airline (or other) seats. If you have to walk around a lot, an iPad is a lot easier to whip out and use than a laptop.

It's the "using on the couch" scenario that I don't get.

But that's exactly what they are. I don't hear you trying to answer his question!

Anyone who thinks it's a big iPod touch is either being obtuse or shortsighted. The screen size alone makes all the difference. With an iPad, you can design apps with full UI for increased productivity. Look at Pages on the iPad. Now imagine a version for the iPhone. Or compare iMovie on each device. Even a simple app such as the Calendar is much more of a joy to use in the iPad than the iPod Touch.

Simply put, the iPad allows for full productivity apps, while apps on the iPod Touch are mere pocket-sized proxies.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

MacDawg (or anyone else who has one) What do you do on it? I'll walk into an Apple store, and there's no desire at all... last time I tried playing with one, it only made me mad that Angry Birds isn't out for Windows Phone 7 til March. I (along with the OP) may not be the target audience, but I feel like I'm missing something.

I use mine for:

Reading books on the sofa or on the treadmill at the gym
Movies especially on the airplane (I travel)
Notes in meetings at work (excellent)
Presentations for clients at work (great with DropBox) - major plus
Showing off my grandkids pictures and videos
Digital picture frame at work
Web surfing on the sofa watching football, baseball, etc.
Netflix streaming
A few games
And of course regular things like email, calendar and such

And so much more

It doesn't replace my MBP, it supplements it and my iPhone 4

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
If you just want to sit and read a book or check email while sitting in a recliner or on the go, a laptop can at times be a bit cumbersome since they are often designed for a mouse/keyboard combo. While touch pads and "erasors" kinda work as mouse replacements, it still it not an ideal input format. A small form factor with a touch screen can be very useful for a lot of tasks and on-the-go a touch screen can work much better as an input device then mouse/keyboard. How many people do you see pull out a laptop in Starbucks and then immediatly hook up an external mouse.

Even if you are right about "an oversized touch". I have a lot of iPhone apps that I like and use but are at times limited by the small screen. My organizer app for one.. a mind mapping app for another. So being able to use these app on a larger screen makes them much more useful then on the smaller iPhone screen.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
You really gave to use one before you know. It's better than using a laptop in bed.

C1raider

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So, from this post, I am to conclude the ipad serves as an ultra-luxurary item to bridge the gap between smart phones and laptops? I might be mistaken but there seems to be way too much functioning overlap to constitute 15 million sold products in 9 months.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
So, from this post, I am to conclude the ipad serves as an ultra-luxurary item to bridge the gap between smart phones and laptops? I might be mistaken but there seems to be way too much functioning overlap to constitute 15 million sold products in 9 months.

Your verbage is a bit inflammatory. Perhaps 15 million users are not "bridging the gap" but rather filling a niche. Your thread is no different from the ones one year ago after the iPad was first released. I recommend you go back and read them all. Many of the people who sounded like you, upon actually getting an iPad, ended up eating their words.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean it doesn't have definite value to others. Sure, you can do everything the iPad does with a MBP and iPhone, but there are many things it does more efficiently. Don't need one? Then don't buy one. I use mine extensively.

Ultra-luxury item? To be perfectly honest, your posts sound like you are jealous, can't afford one, and are trying to convince yourself you don't want one

C1raider

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I think you misunderstand my intent. I am thinking from a business perspective. I think the iPad is cool, but cool doesn't give enough incentive to run out and buy one. I am sure there are a lot of people who have a great use for them. I am just wondering what 80% of 15 million people are doing with there iPad.... And jealousy?...really? I never would have expected such defensive responses from my inquiry.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well... iPad *is* a device that is "in addition to" rather than "istead of" laptops and smartphones. But the same could be said of laptops in relation to desktops, or computers in relation to pen and paper. Computers have revolutionalized the workplace, yet all workplaces still use pen and paper for some tasks. Modern laptops can do almost everything that a desktop does, but people still use desktops, mainly because of larger screen and full-size keyboard. If you label something a luxury item simply because its functions overlap another, then laptops themselves are luxury items. Or perhaps it's the desktop that's the luxury item.

If you don't find a use for iPad in *your* life, then fine. But if you are asking people to explain how the iPad fit in their lives, then you need to stop throwing around terms like "ultra-luxury item." That comes off like you've already made up your mind that iPads don't fill any "real" need, and make people feel you aren't really interested in hearing what they have to say.

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
I may be one of the only people left in this world that doesn't own a laptop so the iPad is perfect for me.
I do have an iMac but find myself using the iPad for nearly everything.
1. Typing letters
2. Emails
3. PowerPoint presentations for work
4. Couch surfing for nearly everything.
5. Online shopping
6. Downloading files
The list is endless so I guess I am the the target market. Thank you apple.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) felt like this before they actually got one. Probably the only way you would understand is if you could use one for a few days.

That's a bit of a catch-22 though! Like the OP, I don't have any need for an iPad and also can't comprehend why they're so popular. With that in mind, I'm in no hurry to try using one. I'm sure that there must be many other people that feel the same way, after all, 15 million is a fraction of total computer users.

Last edited:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I do my work in an office on a desktop and I don't travel for work. When I have work to bring home I use a desktop computer. As a result, the iPad has mostly served as a laptop replacement. The only reason I still have a laptop is for vacations and uploading tons of photos and video and for the ability to watch bluray. That is it. I have to get the laptop out the day before the trip just to update the virus and windows software. It can take a long time. To be honest, I could just bring along some extra memory cards, but it isn't a big deal to carry a laptop bag.

The iPad doesn't have to be held in your hand in front of your face all the time. You can buy a case that enables it to be put in numerous different positions. Unlike a laptop that pretty much sits in you lap possibly causing infertility and neck strain, the iPad does not heat up your nether regions and can be moved from place to place much easier.

I have posted about the many ways I use it, but here are a few:

Zinio - fantastic way to read magazines
Web surfing - easy to pick up, push a button, and be on macrumors in seconds.
Kindle - read books
Music - I use it for music in many ways. Airplay and Apple Remote software is amazing
Photos - a great way to view photos. One of my cameras uses an SD card, so if I use that camera I can load up photos and then stream them to my atv2. No cables needed.
Video - sling, EyeTV, Netflix, etc...since it is so easy to carry from place to place, I can have media anywhere in the house and in the backyard.
Clock - when the day is over, I plug it in at night and use it for an alarm clock.
Calendar- great way to keep up with my schedule
Pulse Reader for tech blogs
Splashtop remote - desktop remote that streams audio and video from my desktop.

The list goes on and on. I use it more than my desktop and laptop combined.

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
For me, it has become a laptop replacement: I spend most of my working day at my desktop machine but do need portability for meetings, travelling, etc. My iPad is perfect for those tasks and I now use it instead of a laptop when away from my desk. When I'm at my desk I use it for playing music, watching sling box, etc.

I was very skeptical about the iPad before i got one but i wouldn't be without it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.