An iPhone Dilemma...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JCPH, Oct 28, 2007.

1. JCPH macrumors member

I have two questions and would appreciate anyone's input on the topics

(1) Are many features lost when you unlock an iPhone? (can't use AT&T),

and

(2) When will the next iPhone be released (like next year or in three years), and will it be that much better than the current one (i.e., should I hold out until the new one)?

I'm thinking of buying one of the current ones because it seems to be quite easily customized (via third party). Do Apple's web-apps still work when its unlocked?

Thanks,

JCPH

2. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I think if you do it right, you just lose visual voicemail.

And as for hanging on for the next edition, what happens when that one comes out? Will you wait for the next again? You will never buy anything if you are always looking around the technological corner, just go for it!

3. JCPH thread starter macrumors member

What is the best software for unlocking an iPhone? Which version of the firmware does it work with?

4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I think it's a mistake to think of the iPhone like other cellphones because it's basically a CPU, a touch screen and memory ... whatever OS Apple creates for future generations of iPhones should work on older models. Now, of course, Apple's iPod history suggests that they might be stingy with upgrades for older models, but I think given the 2 year AT&T contract you had to sign, Apple would be wise to pass on all upgrades to legacy customers. We might have to think of the iPhone like a Mac ... yes, the hardware always improves, but it's OS-X that matters most.

One major caveat, of course ... 3G will come to the next generation and old phones won't be upgradable. Personally, I think EDGE works fine if it just supplements WIFI use, but for some users this will be a departure.

5. ajl917 macrumors 6502

I cant help you that much because Ive never done it, but One Touch does everything for you without anything manually. iDemocracy I think is more reliable, but is pretty lenghty. Just browse their respective threads to learn more about them.

6. juliuspleaser macrumors newbie

You don't LOSE anything unlocking the phone. Visual voicemail only works with AT&T so you can unlock your phone and if you use AT&T visual voicemail works just fine. If you use it on any other carier than you won't have visual voicemail as they don't offer it, but if they did you could use it.