An iPhone Nano Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisWilder07, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

I just think that it's so weird that apple left the 8GB and 16GB.... so I'm thinking that Apple will release an iPhone Nano 16GB and 32GB and will be smaller than the iPhone 3G and probably won't have GPS..... then they will have to upgrade the iPhone 3G to 16GB and 32GB

Please Comment/Reply

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Not a chance. At least not in the next 3 years.

3. TexasAg macrumors member

I don't think Apple is going to wait until after a huge number of people go out and buy the 3G (and get locked into contracts, etc.) and then say "Oh by the way, the iPhone Pro/iPhone Nano is coming out is 3 months, and it'll have more storage space and better features than the phone you just bought."

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've said before and I'll say again that I would consider replacing my iPhone with an iPhone nano if one came out. But I wouldn't expect an announcement of one until at least the next major keynote- MWSF 2009.

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yet another reason I don't want to buy a 3G iPhone, because I actually DO think they'll have a better model (or at least higher capacity) by MacWorld '09.

Oh....and shouldn't "Nano" be reserved for a tinier phone? ;-)

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes, their planning a 32Gb iPhone Nano.

For the price points of 99USD....please, I know you want a 32Gb iPhone, but its not coming right now/

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not in the foreseeable future, since the chip size is an issue as stated on similar threads. :cool:

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The problem is, it would be incompatible with Apps - Apps expect a resolution of 320x480, and they expect the screen touch area to be a specific size. So if they did release one, it would remove the best feature of iPhone OS 2.0.

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

A bunch of us sat down and tried to figure out what Apple "could" drop from the iPhone to make an iPhone Nano. We concluded that the answer was...

Nothing.

Take just about any of the features or make the screen smaller and you end up with a device that really is no more compelling than the hundreds of devices that are on the market.

We did come up with some pie-in-the-sky speculation though. In about a year Apple will probably introduce resolution independence to the SDK (one of the features we expect to see in the next release of OS X). That opens the way to support different size screens. Not smaller though. This will be the trigger that makes it possible for Apple to release the long awaited tablet device. Leveraging all the developer experience with the iPhone and Touch, Apple will have put in place the infrastructure needed to make a tablet a success where all others have failed abysmally. :D

10. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I sure hope not. THIS iPhone should be the feature-starved, lackluster Nano. I want a phone with MORE features, not less.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This is the most compelling argument. That and, as stated above, there is nothing that Apple can really take out of the iPhone and let it still be amazing. Plus that would require a smaller screen size which would kinda suck.

No iphone nano... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NEVER! They might eventually develope 2 lines as in iphone/iphone pro, but that's it. And the pro will be the same size, just maybe slightly thicker with a lot more features.

They already have a good size. Why spoil a good thing?

12. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I couldn't see an iPhone nano coming out. First of all.. you do realize that if the size is dramatically decreased that people won't be able to type on it right?

13. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

If there is a Nano it would have less storage space than the full blown iPhone. So you'd see something like a 2GB Nano now.... but obviously that small a size wouldn't last too long w/ video, apps, etc...

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Did the OP not understand what "Nano" means? It means extremely small. Therefore, WTF would you add flash to it? The iPod Nano replaced the Mini and caters to people who wanted a smaller iPod with a screen.

I figure any such iPhone Nano would have 4-8GB of storage and at least have the option of just being a cell phone with data use only on WiFi. It would be to compete with the Motorola RAZR stuff, not BlackBerry. As I say about daily, about 90% or more of the cell phones sold are stupid, plain, boring devices that just call and maybe take a picture. If Apple likes money (I hear they do), this is where they're headed.

15. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

An iphone nano will not be released in the foreseeable future. Not only would it be incompatible with apps and the OS. It would also go against apple's phone business model. The iphone goes by a different model than the ipod. Its pretty much one version fits all (apart from the amount of space available). That model will work best, at least for now, because it is a universal thing. It is the iphone. An iphone, like the ipod touch, is a handheld computer. Having different handheld computers for developers to work with, with different hardware and capabilities, would murder the app store, and the whole reasoning for iphone firmware 2.0.

16. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

A SMALLER 32gb iPhone?........ I don't think so. They would have put 32gb in the new 3g ones, but it's still too expensive and they would have had to make the iPhone BIGGER.

17. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I completely agree with you. Maybe when the next iphones come out a year or so down the road, we will have a pro model and a consumer model... The feature differences being "disk space" and maybe a front facing camera. Maybe the casings will be like the macbook for consumer level iphones, and the macbook pro's look for pro iphones.

Just an idea.

18. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I think they could potentially come out with a Pro model that does have the front facing camera, a back camera with better pixels/resolution, light indicators and a flash card slot.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why waste the money of something that might sell 2 million units worldwide in a year (MIGHT) when they can slowly add/improve stuff to the existing iPhone?

I don't see a "Pro" model coming out anytime soon. For starters about the extra storage, Apple will add that as soon as it can fit (which has been pointed out in a few threads I read today). They physically can't fit any more into the present casing.

As far as the other stuff, that will hardly drive sales. I know NOBODY that says "ooh, the iPhone is great. But that 2MP camera is a deal-breaker." Most digital cameras don't have one that good. Plus, how many of you use pictures that a 2MP won't work with? If you're taking stuff that you need a better camera than that, you really just need a camera.

I get the desire for a front-facing camera, but I don't see it as something that's worth the extra money. Every other issue ever mentioned is more important to me and I'm guessing a lot of people. I just don't see voice calls being that big, or if they are, you use a laptop.

Light indicators could be easily done, but you put a case on the phone (like this Incase Slider) and that's all wasted. Perhaps alarms could be added like in iCal/Calendar (although the iPhone Calendar could use some more options). If you've ever used the alarm clock with the "alarm" tone, you know that there's a way notices can be done without lights.

Flash card, I'm there with you. I think Sprint phones can use SIM/flash cards (combo card) in their phones. I'd rather have both slots available (use Micro SD or something), but just something. As far as the person that mentioned the metal case, i don't think that'll happen because they changed it due to signal problems (which I have never had and don't get considering my GPS is made of a lot of lightweight metal).

20. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I am assuming you meant to type "Most Cell Phones." Cause most digital cameras are above 6 Megapixels these days.

21. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i think for all of the functions we love to have on the iphone, an iphone nano would just be too small.

22. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

the iphone is a perfect size... i dont think i could have a iphone that was smaller:apple::apple:

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

[Six years in the past]
    "90% or more of mp3 players sold are stupid, plain, boring devices that hold about 3 albums worth of songs and have a drag and drop song transfer program completely incompatible with the rest of the media playing applications on your computer, and can only play mp3 files. If Apple likes money, this is where they're headed."

Apple doesn't make bottom of the line cheap devices. There's probably money to be made in selling a $400 upgradeable Mac tower, why isn't that where they're headed?

24. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's a better idea. An "iPhone Pro" makes much more sense than an "iPhone nano". There is only a certain size you can shrink a cell phone to, because it has to have some basic electronics, and a screen large enough to be useful.

But I could see a Pro phone that has additional features like the front-mounted camera for chats, a ~5MP camera on the back, N wireless, full BT support, etc. (Though I sincerely hope they add full BT support to the iPhone soon, because that would make taking notes in class so much easier; just an iPhone and BT keyboard, no laptop needed.)

25. firewood macrumors 604

If they left out 3G and wifi to allow a smaller battery and antennas, and maybe the camera, touch screen and Safari as well, they might be able to fit a mic, speaker, SIM slot, the other 2 antennas, Bluetooth and cell phone radio transceivers inside something only somewhat thicker than a Nano size package.

Would anyone buy that just because of the Apple brand, UI & iTunes?

(maybe...)