An iPhone washed up?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jadeNinja, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jadeNinja macrumors newbie

I was with my mom and sister at the Gulf Shores boat dock (vacation) and an iPhone (model number: A1303) washed up out of the water!
    I googled images of the water sensor but this one doesnt seem to have any pink on the sensor whatsoever at all.
    We layed it on top of the clothes dryer in hopes of the water drying out but it hasn't turned on yet. Then again, I don't know anything about iPhones so I might be turning it on the wrong way...

So my questions are: Which iPhone is A1303? What affective methods could I use to dry out the water? And can an iPhone even have a chance of surviving floating around in salt water (which may have even had some oil in it) for who knows how long?

If the water dries out and we can find a name and number in the phone then we'll probably return it. :p

Edit: When we picked it up, there was a text message on the screen but mum immediately turned it off so the water could dry. :p

2. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

:eek: it was still turned on when it washed ashore??

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

It's probably toast, but I believe you can pop the sim card out and the serial number of the phone is printed on the sim card tray, any at&t or apple store should be able to use it to track it back to it's owner, I would guess.

4. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I don't see how this happened. iPhone doesn't float, it sinks. I know this from experience unfortunately. Could it have maybe been dropped just at the edge of the water and you noticed it as a wave was receding? Anyhow salt water is bad, it's probably toast.

5. jadeNinja thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, it probably was dropped recently.
    Thanks for the replies, I'll probably take it to at&t and have them track the owner.

Thanks alot :p