Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I'm looking to just getting rid of my 5.5 G iPod Video and getting a good old 4G iPod.

However, I know I'll miss photo's and videos.

Are there any devices out there like the iPod Video, but without the music? You know, that will let me see photo's and videos?

I doubt it, but thanks anyway.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Wow...that a terrible idea...you want something to show Vids, Pics and Music, and you have something that does it all, and you want to get rid of it?

Also pretty much anything that does vidoe will end up doing music too

Keep the iPod

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I'd say a Cowon A2 or the Archos machines if you don't mind larger players. These have the most flexible video and photo support.

PSP - natively supports iPod video format and is USB Mass Storage. I use it and the Zune for watching iPod format video podcasts.

The Zune is an option, but I wouldn't use it if I was going to run it on a Mac. XNJB is inelegant to say the least for me - which also IMO rules out the Creatives.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
If you want it just for pics and video, then archos is the way to go, imo.. unless you are into photography, both the epson p-3000 and p-5000 are really nice. They have an CF/SD card reader for when you are taking pics. They also let you see RAW pics. The only problem is that the video support is really bad :(

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
My friend broke her iPod, cracked the screen, and now complains about it(has a Mini, but she has vidoes ect)...and I'm like "You cracked the screen, quit whining, its your own fault"

Not saying Cassie did this, but if its something that you did do, other devices are going to have that happen also

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
My friend broke her iPod, cracked the screen, and now complains about it(has a Mini, but she has vidoes ect)...and I'm like "You cracked the screen, quit whining, its your own fault"

Not saying Cassie did this, but if its something that you did do, other devices are going to have that happen also

If its a broken screen, its easy enough to fix yourself.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Screen broke the first time, sent it in, they fixed it. Then it just kind of died on me. Wouldn't boot. Sent it in, they fixed it. Now, I'm having problems with the headphone jack not outputting right. I've got a bad feeling that if I send it in, it'll just come back with more problems. And in general I'm just sick of dealing with it. If I can sell this one, I plan on getting a 4G iPod to replace it(I love those 4G's; never gave me a problem). But as explained in my first post, I'd also like to view photo's and video's, and I'm wondering if there is a seperate device for doing so.

Not for her :rolleyes:

Indeed. What I try to fix always ends up more broken.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Screen broke the first time, sent it in, they fixed it. Then it just kind of died on me. Wouldn't boot. Sent it in, they fixed it. Now, I'm having problems with the headphone jack not outputting right. I've got a bad feeling that if I send it in, it'll just come back with more problems. And in general I'm just sick of dealing with it. If I can sell this one, I plan on getting a 4G iPod to replace it(I love those 4G's; never gave me a problem). But as explained in my first post, I'd also like to view photo's and video's, and I'm wondering if there is a seperate device for doing so.

Seems if you've sent it in enough times it may be eligable for a new one/refurb under the lemon policy.. That's if apple has one.;)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

How much? And yeah...if its the same ipod youve sent in repeatedly maybe try getting a new one? Or just buy a 4thG off Ebay.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
No offence, but this is a horrible idea.

I've had iPod's since they were first introduced, and in my humble experience the newer the iPod the better it behaves. They don't age incredibly well.

Just buy a new 5.5g or wait for a refresh.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
No offence, but this is a horrible idea.

I've had iPod's since they were first introduced, and in my humble experience the newer the iPod the better it behaves. They don't age incredibly well.

Just buy a new 5.5g or wait for a refresh.

Let her do what she wants. Personally i think they should bring back the design of the 3rd Gen. Its a beautiful design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.