an issue with my second macbook.. :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desistyle, Jan 30, 2008.

1. desistyle macrumors regular

Alright, i'm on my second macbook. My first one had some graphic artifacts that the genius bar determined to be a hardware issue.

On this second brand new machine, the right bottom corner of the grey casing (palmrest) is somewhat loose. Meaning if i was to put my hand in that area you could hear the case click since it's not solidly put together.

This isn't a huge deal because I rarely have my hand at the very bottom right (see this thread, mine problem is in the same spot)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=422996

Should I even bring this into the apple store? Am I wrong for wanting my laptop to be in perfect condition? Sometimes I think that the general consumer doesn't notice the issues I do.

I also really don't want to deal with losing all my information again if they give me a 3rd macbook.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple quality control strikes again! If you bring it in, be sure to back up your data first.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i would definitely bring it back...only going to get worse with time--

have the store do a data transfer for you so you have your info from the old computer.

4. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'll ask them to open the new one so I can inspect it at the store..and have them use the migration assistant in leopard. That should be able to back everything up, right?

I feel really frustrated coming in for a 3rd time....

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

should be no problem...but you may have to wait for it depending on the queue for standard care...they should put a rush on it since this is the third time you have gone in, but every store is different--

i would politely explain your frustration to the manager...who knows what they might do for you -- good luck!!!

6. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

dumb question, should I pack up my macbook with all its original stuff before I come in and bring it along? Last time I did that.

Any chance I can just bring in the laptop and they'll swap it out without having to bring all the other stuff including the box?

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

personally i would bring everything with it-- put it in a bag if you can't fit it all back in the box

also, you are going on the assumption that they are definitely going to give you a new computer-- how long have you had this second one with the defect...if it has been a while, they may just repair...

8. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

then i would say you should get a new one..that is quite unacceptable!!!

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

ummm .. is this a joke??? I just pressed on the corner of my Macbook and had to press pretty had before it "clicked". How hard are you pressing on it dude???

11. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

no..not a joke. Literally just resting my hand on the bottom right causes it to click in, its pretty lose.

Also if I was to take pictures of it, you'd see where the gray casing is not solid as it is more tightly sealed in some spots and looser in others.

I just didnt notice it until now..but its only been 6 days

12. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

to top it off, i just noticed that the macbook is vibrating. I looked it up on apple defects and it appears to vibrate right above where the hard drive is. What next?!??!

I never had any probs with my ibook g4...what gives with apple's QA?

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Have you checked your Magsafe lately? Those usually go within a year.

Apple's QC is inversely proportional to their market share. The bigger they get, the less of a damn they'll give. Just like any other corporation...

14. mosx macrumors 65816

My thread :D

Definitely return it and get it taken care of. You don't want it to get worse and then have to send it in for repair.

You don't want to deal with Flextronics like I have! Ugh. My Mac is on its way to them now.

I'm more eager to see what kind of damage they do to it during "repair" than have it back.

If its anything like my last one, I'm sure it'll be going out a few times and I'll be getting a call from Apple's Executive Customer Relations again.