An Obj C question

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by multinode, Mar 12, 2011.

1. multinode, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

multinode macrumors regular

Can someone please tell me the difference between
    Code:
    class method

NSString * = stringWithCString:(const char *)cString encoding:(NSStringEncoding)enc       

Return Value
    A string containing the characters described in cString.

and
    Code:
    instance method

NSString * = [[NSString alloc] initWithCString:(const char *)nullTerminatedCString encoding:(NSStringEncoding)encoding

Return Value
    An NSString object initialized using the characters from nullTerminatedCString.

I am assuming that in both cases memory is allocated for the returned NSString object ... is that correct?

Thank you.

2. yaniv92648 macrumors member

Differences

1. Class Method: memory here is allocated but by the class method itself and not directly by u. so u don't release the memory.
    2. Instance Method: memory here is allocated by u directly. so u must release the memory.

3. multinode thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx ... so when should I use the first way and when should I use the second way?

4. yaniv92648 macrumors member

Well..

BTW, class method is called "convenience method" (cuz it takes care of the object releasing 4 u). Apple docs recommend using convenience methods alone. if u must - use instance methods.

5. multinode thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx Yaniv.

6. dantastic macrumors 6502a

dantastic

Is the recommendation really to use convenience methods? I was of the understanding that, at least on the memory constrained iPhone, the preferred way is not to use them.

7. yaniv92648 macrumors member

i looked it up in the docs..

but couldn't find it.. :(
    though i remember reading it's better 2 use convenience constructors - i don't c it now. i actually didn't c any preference 2 convenience constructors or alloc.

8. chown33 macrumors 604