Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Is is just me, or are the MacRumors forums the most unfriendly forums on the internet?

Seriously people, it just seems that technical ignorance is met with personal attacks, people with opinions different from another are yelled at. It just seems sad.

Don't get me wrong, most of the users seems to be really friendly, but some... C'mon guys, lighten up! Would you say the same things you say here in real life?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No, it's not true.

These are actually some of the most friendly forums I've seen, unless you count the PRSI fourm (but different opinions in there are the point of that forum).

I think many of the problematic posts come from answering the same question several times in a relatively short time. Often times people choose to start a new thread rather than search, and this can cause a lot of frustration for the people that answer the same question multiple times. Searching will often find the answers faster than starting a new thread and waiting for answers.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
if this is the unfriendliest forum youve ever been on, then WELCOME TO THE INTERNET!!

The reason I'm on this site all the time is because its such a great environment for discussion/information/just a good ole time.

The PRSI forum is where i spend the majority of my time, and wow, compared to the other sites ive been on (ultimate guitar, ipodtouchfans, etc) the difference is HUGE. People on these forums actually demand evidence for peoples statements and will defend the needlessly flamed. Yes their is mudslinging everywhere but usually its about whats being discussed rather than those discussing it. Frankly, this is the best site ive ever been a member of. :D

:apple:

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Please, don't even make a poorly put together "Windows Movie Maker" video and put it on youtube, some of the comments you'd get would make you cry...

Anyway, if you really think this forum isn't very nice, you really should try visiting other forums and seeing what they're like, I've personally found here to be one of the best forums in terms of knowledge, expertise, guidance (on all matters, not just macs) and kindness.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Ehh..I see some people kinda jumping a little hard onto people for messing up....one of my early posts, I used some terrible spelling, awfully, and someone called me on it quick. They could have said it nicer, but honestly it wasn't the end of the world.

People tend to be a little harsher on the internet, but here I'd let 'em slide. Over all MR is a top notch community. I'm sure I'll keep coming here if I stopped using Apple product, I like it that much.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Ehh..I see some people kinda jumping a little hard onto people for messing up....one of my early posts, I used some terrible spelling, awfully, and someone called me on it quick. They could have said it nicer, but honestly it wasn't the end of the world.

People tend to be a little harsher on the internet, but here I'd let 'em slide. Over all MR is a top notch community. I'm sure I'll keep coming here if I stopped using Apple product, I like it that much.
Oh yea, I forgot, grammar is a major sticking point here. Frankly, it's not really a bad thing, I've noticed that I have been writing alot better since joining here.;)

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
Please, don't even make a poorly put together "Windows Movie Maker" video and put it on youtube, some of the comments you'd get would make you cry...

Anyway, if you really think this forum isn't very nice, you really should try visiting other forums and seeing what they're like, I've personally found here to be one of the best forums in terms of knowledge, expertise, guidance (on all matters, not just macs) and kindness.

LOL - you are completely right. ive seen some cruel stuff said on youtube. but i think that the forums here are pretty accepting of new members and pretty friendly overall. but prepare to be told that youre wrong if you are and accept the correction

JNB

macrumors 604
I've noticed that the worst offenders are also often (but not always) amongst the newest members. They haven't "learned the path" yet, and either soon see the light, or are shown the door ultimately. That, or the more ADD-addled among them get bored and move on to troll more opportune waters.

If you see egregiously bad behavior, don't hesitate to report the offending post. The mods will sort it out and see that the community is taken care of appropriately.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you see egregiously bad behavior, don't hesitate to report the offending post.

It doesn't have to be "egregiously bad"...merely "questionable" is sufficient for a post report. We'd rather get too many post reports than not enough. If a user is consistently reporting things that we end up not acting on, we'll usually contact them and give them some direction, but we'd much rather do that a handful of times than see issues go unreported and develop into giant messes.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I've definitely seen forums where people were nicer, but they were very very small! The larger a community is, the less likely they are to be nice. For the size of this community, I'd consider it a very well-behaved forum.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I've definitely seen forums where people were nicer, but they were very very small! The larger a community is, the less likely they are to be nice. For the size of this community, I'd consider it a very well-behaved forum.

Agreed. I'm a part-time mod on another forum which is much better behaved, but much smaller. Though I find it amusing that my grammar nazi reply to NT1440 was deleted...whatever mod removed it needs a humor implant. :)

--Eric

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In general, I find this an excellent forum. It is exceedingly informative and interesting and usually very helpful and is welcoming most of the time.

Moreover, I take rjs's point about the sometimes tedious nature of endless posts and questions on the same topic that the OP may not have considered hunting through earlier threads while seeking answers. Some posters don't seem to realise that this is a place many people come to in order to "chill" and that anyone who kindly responds to a post does so for free, in their own time. And yes, people/posters who demand answers arrogantly rightly get up everyone's nose.

However, while these points are valid, I do take the OP's point concerning this thread, as well. Many who post here are not technologically clued-in, especially newbies, and above all, switchers. The questions some ask will be exceedingly basic. That, however, is no reason not to answer. Lack of knowledge is not a cardinal sin. Sometimes, they will not know how to conduct a search on the forum. Switching, learning new systems, are all learning curves which some will master faster than others.

There is one further point I wish to make. For some, even asking - admitting that they don't know something, especially something basic - can be an agonising experience, and is one that deserves to be supported; sometimes, it takes guts to ask.

I'd almost suggest making a sticky post - to have permanently in view somewhere in the forum - which would have a series of obvious newbie type questions and their answers: (where is the right click on a Mac? re-sizing the screen; the difference in Mac between quitting and closing programmes - there is a difference which took me ages to work out); it might deal with some of the more obvious questions which arise, and will continue to arise out of the switching experience.

Other questions, such as "is the new MB/MBP coming out next Tuesday?" are best yawned at; "should I buy now, or later?' can be dealt with as necessary.

Cheers and good luck

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

I'd almost suggest making a sticky post - to have permanently in view somewhere in the forum - which would have a series of obvious newbie type questions and their answers: (where is the right click on a Mac? re-sizing the screen; the difference in Mac between quitting and closing programmes - there is a difference which took me ages to work out); it might deal with some of the more obvious questions which arise, and will continue to arise out of the switching experience.

Cheers and good luck

There are already guides, as well as a list of stickies at the head some subforums, like the very basic info you can find at the top of Mac Basics and Help.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Going with thedogsbollocks instead of thebeesknees would have garnered you more respect.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There are already guides, as well as a list of stickies at the head some subforums, like the very basic info you can find at the top of Mac Basics and Help.

That is always good to know, and thanks for drawing my attention to it, but you can't have too many of them stuck in obvious places (given the plethora of obvious questions asked on this forum on a regular basis.)

Cheers

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I find that the vast majority in this forum are friendly, good-natured and eager to help! There are always exceptions, wherever you go in life. Some just choose to be immature and rude.
... Often times people choose to start a new thread rather than search, and this can cause a lot of frustration for the people that answer the same question multiple times. Searching will often find the answers faster than starting a new thread and waiting for answers.
This is very true! And too frequently it's the newbie who posts before searching that ends up attacking someone who takes the time to respond with a suggestion to search and a link to search results that target their question.
Duff-Man says...it's kinda like deja vu all over again...oh yeah!
The Duff-Man speaks the truth! Another example of posting a new thread without searching!
It doesn't have to be "egregiously bad"...merely "questionable" is sufficient for a post report. We'd rather get too many post reports than not enough. If a user is consistently reporting things that we end up not acting on, we'll usually contact them and give them some direction, but we'd much rather do that a handful of times than see issues go unreported and develop into giant messes.
I've found the moderators, especially WildCowboy and Doctor Q, to be extremely patient and helpful in responding to reports and giving ideas on what does and doesn't fly in the forums.

All in all, it's a great place to share information! Keep up the good work, MR!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Actually, if there are really people who found this forum unfriendly, they wouldn't stick around long enough to reply here. So I don't think you would get an unbiased answer in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.