An odd AT&T <-> T-Mobile account trade question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jul 6, 2008.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

My little brother has a Nokia on AT&T not under contract. I have an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone with T-Mobile with a contract that expires in one year. I MIGHT want to port my number to AT&T to get a 3G iPhone w/new 2 year contract. If I did, my brother would take over the rest of my contract with T-Mobile (if it's possible, of course). I know it's possible to port my number from T-Mobile to AT&T, but would my brother be able to move his number to T-Mobile and continue with them? I want to do this to avoid the early cancellation fee.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't think they will let you do that. You would definitely be able to port your number to ATT and he would be able to go to T Mobile with his number but as far as a trade on your contract goes, I don't see it happening.

3. Convoy macrumors newbie

When you port your number, the account is terminated. Then, you are assessed any ETFs and your last month's bill.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

If you dont have a text messaging plan you can cancel your contract with t-mobile without the ETF. This is because they sent a notice to customers about an increase in the text messaging cost. I just cancelled two days ago.

5. Convoy macrumors newbie

Will that allow him to keep his number?

6. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ya, i just read about that. the increase takes place at the end of August though...so I don't see how I can get out of the contract now and still avoid the ETF. unless tmobile officially sent out the notices and are officially allowing people to cancel now. btw i have the 400 text message plan.