An odd request

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vtprinz, Aug 13, 2007.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I'm looking at a new computer for grad school as well as the heavy load of photography and music recording that I do, and I think I'm going to go for the Mac Pro over the un-upgradeable iMac. But, out of sheer curiosity, I'm trying to find out what sort of performance increase I will see coming from my current 1.42ghz G4 ibook.

I know, lightyears. But indulge me. I've been trying to find a website that will have comparable benchmarks from both systems, and so far I can't find much.

Does anyone know of a site that will archive bench scores of older systems, especially one where the bench test has remained relatively the same since my 2005 ibook so that I can compare it to the Mac Pro accurately?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

XBench has fallen kind of out of favor, but iBook G4 1.42 results on it seem to come out at around 40-45 (see example), while the quad 2.66 Mac Pro seems to come out around 150-180....

These are a bit old, and they don't have anything super close to your computer, but if you use the iMac G5 / 2.0 as a guideline (it's quite a bit faster than your iBook, so your difference should generally be larger).

And then finally, there's Geekbench -- you can find both your iBook and whatever MP you want in this chart.