An OPEN-LETTER for all iOS Software Developers for iPad out there.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by thepan, Sep 29, 2011.

1. thepan, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

thepan macrumors newbie

Dear iOS developers (especially those who made iPad apps),

First of all, I’d like to thank all of you for your non-stop flow of ideas to create innovative and groundbreaking apps and games for the iOS platform. This is the reason why I’m pledging myself for Apple products.
    I’m a previous 3rd & 4th Generation iPod Touch user, currently using my iPhone 4, and the original iPad. I love how they does to my lifestyle and my academic life so far. However, I’ve been noticing some of these changes within most of your apps ever since the iPad 2 came out. Oh wait nononononono….no….nooo. This is not my ranting for not owning a new/current gen device. I’m cool with that. Kind of. A bit. Oh well.

Moving on.
    What I notice mostly is that how your apps being radically updated for the “optimised-for-iPad 2” thing, even to other non-3D/gaming apps. At first I thought that it was cool though, until I tried it first-hand. Opening a simple app like Zinio, Flipboard, and Macworld Reader have always led me to sudden-exit; it used to works flawlessly on the original iPad before. Opening games like R.A.G.E, NOVA2, and Infinity Blade were also the same; which these apps are used to works flawlessly on the original iPad. There are actually more apps that I cannot remember each of them, but take these as an example.
    I am sorry to say this, but I think that you guys are/were being attached too much with the technical specs of the iPad 2, which rendered your apps completely useless on the iPad 1. Heck, my iPad is not jailbroken; 100% clean installations. If you look back when the iPhone 4 came out, and then all the apps were optimised for it, it’s still works flawlessly on a previews device (iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 3rd). In addition to that, some apps, although feels slower, are/were still works and can get the job done on the iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2nd.

I know that some readers will probably respond by saying “LOL u jzt jealous u dnt have the $$$$$ for the iPad 2 lmfao!”.. but that’s not the case here. Seriously. I think you guys should really take a careful attention toward the base system requirements before making the app. Second, for what I’ve learned, there are some people who purchased the previous iOS devices in less than 5 months; those people who are never get in touch with Apple Rumours communities and such. Third, iOS devices are NOT lightbulbs that we always have to replace at least once a year. When you guys radically optimised your apps for the iPad 2 and being totally useless on the iPad 1, you guys have render the money spent by the previous-gen owners useless too.
    I have to admit, you guys did great during the iPhone 4 era, despite that the contrast between the iPhone 4 and previous gen devices are quite huge. Why not do the same thing then?

Thank you very much.
    My bad for my english.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

I'll be interested to hear what people have to say. While I owned my iPad1, I never had any iPad app fail to work.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Huh? We have over 60 apps in the real world, all of our iPad apps run on both the original and the iPad 2 unless you need the specific features only found on the iPad 2.

As long as you stay current with iOS updates, there is nothing that should cause your iPad apps not to run.

Contact the specific developers of any apps that don't run, as I'm sure they will be very interested.

-t

4. psonice macrumors 6502a

Yeah, for apps to stop working like that is not normal. You probably have a problem with your device - I take it you've rebooted it? If so, maybe you'll need to restore it and then put all your apps/data back. Failing that, yes get in touch with the devs, if there IS a problem with the apps the devs need to know to fix it. (And just as a polite pointer, devs find it *really* annoying when people don't tell them that there's a problem, but go leaving bad reviews and complaining on random forums instead!)

[And I'm getting a mild feeling of hypocrisy here, having written an ipad2-only app.. but then it does require cameras and an A5 :) ]

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You mention Zinio... That one has had an issue. If you look at the install instructions, they actually tell you to unistall the previous version. Then install the latest version. I can't remember from which version to which they ask you to do this with. But that has been an issue. I was getting the same issue until I unistalled and the re-downloaded the newest version and installed that one. I haven't had an issue since.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

I'd suggest the OP go back, edit his rant, and change it to a question. Why don't apps X, Y, and Z work on my iPad anymore? I am sure there are very knowledgable people on the forums who could solve the problem. Attacking the developers en masse probably isn't going to be very productive.

Personally, I have found developers to be (in general) very friendly, helpful, and interested in getting their apps to work perfectly. Good job everyone!

7. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

My experience with the original iPad is the same as palpatine.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Flipboard, at least, is fine on my iPad 1. Agree that something's not right with the OP's iPad. Start by closing all apps in the multitasker and do a hard reset to see if that helps. I've encountered a couple of games that didn't function as well on the iPad 1, but only one of those didn't respond to simply clearing everything out from the multitasking tray.

9. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I agree completely. In my experience most problems can be eliminated by clearing memory. I think a lot of users never think about how many apps are open.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Or they don't know about this. Almost every person I have talked to about their iOS device doesn't know this is there. The first time they open it, they are like holy cow, I have XXX amount of apps open!

11. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

wow really? that does suck, I thought they would all be backwards compatible. never knew that new optimization or whatever leaves an app only available to the iPad 2. I bet apple wouldn't really care about this, since the iPad sells like hot cakes and this gives more incentive to upgrade. But hopefully some of these creators listen, if not I just found my new job :O (jk i wish :p)

12. Ashwood11, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I have had my iPad since it was introduced and all the apps I have, have been backward compatible. I have also installed every iOS update and never had a problem. If you're having problems I suggest you read the iPad User Guide.
    http://help.apple.com/ipad/4/interface/