Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I just sent one to sjobs@apple.com. I poured my heart and soul into it as a non-native English writer. What are the chances of it actually being read by Steve? Share what you guys think and your opinions on the issues addressed in the letter.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Jobs,
It's unfortunate my first potential letter to you has to be this one. Your company has always had on of the best reputations in the consumer electronics industry and that is the single most important reason why I like the products of Apple.

However, recently I purchased the much-anticipated iPod touch and encountered a problem that may well keep me and customers alike away from buying the first units of a new future products, knowing that there's a possibility, even the slightest possibility of qaulity control issues. The touch I have now, like many others' cannot display the color "black" well; instead, it is showing the negative black that makes darker scenes in videos uncomfortable to watch and sometimes even impossible to view. It is truly a shame that we customers are not able to enjoy videos on such a well designed product as had expected.

I do recognize this as a mistake made by the third-party factories (professionals in the victim crowd indicated this as a result of lack of anti-reflective coating layer on the panels) but I am sure Apple has its own way of executing quality control. Even if the things during manufacturing went all-wrong, I still would prefer Apple to be more responsive to their loyal customers than they had shown these past few days. As reports poured in, Apple as a company would have maintained their reputation status and public image if they had actively told the customers about the problems and stopped the distribution as more sales of defective units would do no good but only damage the line up and its coming years. Again, Apple is expected to respond faster because this is not like the complaints of the iPhone price-drop; it is product malfunction, hard facts unlike people's opinions. There is absolutely no need of discussion or board meetings to come up with a initial response.

By reacting so slowly Apple disappointed a great number of its customers and if not the most important customer base. We are, after all, the "sane" and ordinary consumers who would think through their needs and waited for touch to come to iPod. We most likely will be the one helping Apple expand their multi-touch and Mac OSX mobile platform to the general public. I view the touch but not the iPhone as the product that plays the role of the first generation iPod that re-introduce the music listening experience and digital life style; it is going to popularize multi-touch and yes, re-introduce video viewing experience on a mobile device to many people. Therefore, Apple must not fail on this first generation iPod touch.

Good luck on this issue and the many soon to come Apple releases and launches,

One of the many Apple customers who also desire a new Mac Pro

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
I stopped reading once I knew you were talking about the screen.

THEY WILL FIX IT. And it will be very soon (You wait and see)

Either hold off, or buy one now (and hope to get a good one) and if not, return it for a new batch.

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I stopped reading once I knew you were talking about the screen.

THEY WILL FIX IT. And it will be very soon (You wait and see)

Either hold off, or buy one now (and hope to get a good one) and if not, return it for a new batch.

actually I was hoping for responses about the company's responsivness but your feedback is appreciated anyway. And yes, I will take it back when the sun comes up.;)

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
should of kept the mac pro out of it

Couldn't help it. haha

I know, but either they will be secret about it and quickly replace the current batches, or make a comment within a week or so I'm betting.

Surely I am hoping for the immediate replacement or a quicker comment. After all they're gonna be losing a lot of hearts if the "comment" takes a week. Below is a quick and easy sample.

An Open Letter to Early iPod touch Adopters

We at apple truly apologize for the inconveniences caused by the defective units of iPod touch. As part of the solution, beginning on Wednesday, September 19th 2007 you will be able to bring it to Apple store or request a mail-in box free of charge online to acquire a replacement.

Apple will always have you covered,

Steve Jobs

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have written a few letters to sjobs and got replies back from his assistants. When I wrote them I tried to remember college writing classes on how to write a persuasive essay, as in fact that is really what you are writing.The hard part is to stay positive. There were a few lines in there that sounded like a direct attack. Really go though for not having English as a first language.

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have written a few letters to sjobs and got replies back from his assistants. When I wrote them I tried to remember college writing classes on how to write a persuasive essay, as in fact that is really what you are writing.The hard part is to stay positive. There were a few lines in there that sounded like a direct attack. Really go though for not having English as a first language.

thank you. i just found out I said "a new products"

OH NO!!:mad:

Madame Defarge

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Bay Area
Has Steve become "the Dark Lord of iMordor?"

What with the buggy iPhone, the sudden and early price drop and now the iPod screen issue, it's not easy being a fanboy or girl these days.

It's hard to understand why Apple released these defective products. Did they think people wouldn't complain or care?

Maybe outsourcing to China is part of the problem.

From Salon.com

One iPhone to rule them all

Hardware techies at Apple are regularly sent from California for intense two-week shifts to the city-sized Foxconn factory in Shenzhen, China where iPods are made and tested. Internally at Apple this is known as "being sent to Mordor."

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2007/09/14/sent_to_mordor/index.html?source=rss&aim=yahoo-salon

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
No, it still doesn't work. ;)

Then you would have said: "It's unfortunate that my first letter to you has to be this one which, potentially etc etc."

Sorry to be so pedantic… But if you do write letters to Apple's CEO it's good to get the first line correct. :)

Okay...thanks for the correction. I doubt if I'm really writing to him though. Yes yes I know I have gotta be serious about it...haha

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
What I don't understand is why, WHY, do people think that manufacturing on a massive scale should be 100% perfect????

I don't think we should be focused necessarily on what is wrong with a product, but rather what the company is doing to handle it. The fact that no software update or official statement has been made from Apple at this early point in time is meaningless.

First, Apple has to go back thru the process and even down into the parts suppliers to figure out what exatly might be wrong. Hardware? Software? This type of thing does not happen overnight.

One other thing to point out. If you want a perfect product, be prepared to pay for it. The only way to ensure that is to test 100% of all of the components prior to manufacture, 100% of units during manufacturing and 100% of the units after manufacturing. That will not come for free to us consumers.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
What I don't understand is why, WHY, do people think that manufacturing on a massive scale should be 100% perfect????

I don't think we should be focused necessarily on what is wrong with a product, but rather what the company is doing to handle it. The fact that no software update or official statement has been made from Apple at this early point in time is meaningless.

First, Apple has to go back thru the process and even down into the parts suppliers to figure out what exatly might be wrong. Hardware? Software? This type of thing does not happen overnight.

One other thing to point out. If you want a perfect product, be prepared to pay for it. The only way to ensure that is to test 100% of all of the components prior to manufacture, 100% of units during manufacturing and 100% of the units after manufacturing. That will not come for free to us consumers.

I agree, Apple needs to pin down whatever the problem is before making any sort of announcement. The fact that some people are getting fine units points to a break down in the supply lines. My hope is that Apple will handle this, especially since this is their flagship iPod model and the fact they want to sell a lot of these for the upcoming Holiday Season.

Woo hoo, also just lost my newbie title with this post

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Yeah, you tell that CEO how to run his company. Maybe they'll call you and offer you a job!!!

I agree. $5,000 hand-made iPods FTW!!! At least it'll stop the public bitching and moaning and the endless "blah blah blah crazy ass story blah. So do you think Apple will do [insert some instance of a refund, repair, or exchange]??" and THAT is priceless.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Can you tell me where someone said that exactly?

I completely agree that we should be patient and await Apple's response. But it's hard not to 'focus' on the problem when you just paid $400 for a widescreen iPod and can't watch movies on it. People are mostly discussing the issue, simply to get a handle on what's going on, what they should do with their units, etc.

It was because of those reports that I decided to buy at Best Buy, so I could return the unit if necessary without having to eat a $40 restocking fee, and I'm glad I did. It just gives me more options regardless of how Apple responds.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just sent one to sjobs@apple.com. I poured my heart and soul into it as a non-native English writer. What are the chances of it actually being read by Steve? Share what you guys think and your opinions on the issues addressed in the letter.:)

Just want to add that it was a very well-written letter, very good for a non-native English speaker.

About the only thing I would add (and this is more of a general point than anything), is that having worked in international companies I notice that writing from non-native English speakers is often longer, wordier and a little too 'formal'. It is grammatically correct, but I think it's common to over-compensate for lack of confidence in another language (English or otherwise.)

We would proofread written copy for manuals and brochures written by our European co-workers, and often all we would need to do is cross out a lot of unnecessary verbage and simplify the writing.

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just want to add that it was a very well-written letter, very good for a non-native English speaker.

About the only thing I would add (and this is more of a general point than anything), is that having worked in international companies I notice that writing from non-native English speakers is often longer, wordier and a little too 'formal'. It is grammatically correct, but I think it's common to over-compensate for lack of confidence in another language (English or otherwise.)

We would proofread written copy for manuals and brochures written by our European co-workers, and often all we would need to do is cross out a lot of unnecessary verbage and simplify the writing.

thanks! totally agree!
it's probably not only because of the lack of confidence in another language but also the traditions of writing this kind of letter in the native language. I still have a long way to go...Next time I will definitely try simplifying the writing. Maybe I should take it to my professor and then send it. :)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
thanks! totally agree!
it's probably not only because of the lack of confidence in another language but also the traditions of writing this kind of letter in the native language. I still have a long way to go...Next time I will definitely try simplifying the writing. Maybe I should take it to my professor and then send it. :)

No, you actually don't have a long way to go. ;) I was making a small suggestion and more of a general observation, I think you did a great job. :)

I personally hate learning languages (because of so much memorization, grammar, etc.)

Hopefully you get a reply at some point from Apple-

gottino

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Trying to get in touch with Steve Jobs

Some of you seem to have been in touch at least with some assistants of Steve Jobs. Any sign that Steve Jobs might have read what you wrote? I'm trying to get in touch with him for a business school project (see http://iwanttoshadwostevejobs.com), any advice on how to achieve that?

Thanks
G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.