An Open Request to all you Developers. Feel free to pile on..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorfdad, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Developers. We love you, and we hate you..

While I admire your abilities and am willing to pay you a FAIR wage for your work I have a few simple requests going forward that will make everyone happy. Im sure some other in this thread will add to this but let me get the ball rolling.

#1. If you making a game PLEASE for the love of whatever you believe in add an Accelerometer setting. Crash Racing added this while Super Monkey Balls did not and it's the difference between having fun and tossing your Iphone across the room! Just add it PLEASE!!! We all move differently than you.

#2. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE when you Iphone gets in incoming call have your application instantly go to PAUSE mode before letting the phone take over. This might be in Apples court I dunno but if you can add a routine please do, if not APPLE needs to do this. This way when Im done with the call the app goes right back and is paused.. Some Apps close down and you lose whatever progress you made.. See Monkey Balls above!

#3. Please I know you want to make a buck, Ill pay you for it BUT CHARGING 9.99 or 7.99 for simple APPS make me dream about Jailbreaks when the majority of good apps were FREE.. I want to pay you but lets be reasonable.. Micro transaction will win me over not Highway robbery..

Im sure you all have many more requests maybe you can post in this thread. I do not wish to BASH any of you but lets file this as constructive criticism..

Thanks

Dorfdad

2. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Sounds like you should start developing your own games and applications.

Oh, wait... you don't know how? Then pay the $10 and don't be a cheapskate. $10 is a pretty rational price for a game or a good application. If you can't afford it, look into a new line of work.

Just some constructive criticism.

3. Dermot81 macrumors member

I just want a divx player. Converting everything to mp4 is so time consuming. I'll pay good money for a decent one.

4. DanielQ macrumors member

I agree with you, but part of the point was that many of the applications that cost those prices are very simple - they're simply overpriced.

5. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

I'll give you that. My apologies for being an ass... I'm just kind of tired of the forums right now and everyone complaining about EVERYTHING. It's so repetitive.

I think I'll step away from the computer now and go out and get some fresh air. :)

6. touchyphone macrumors regular

This board is filled with some people who are just little baby whiners, I mean god, it's so effing sad, and this post falls in that category, you have 500 dollar phone, and a 7.99 app that you're not required to buy is going to break the bank...please, look at the free apps, for every pay for app, there is a free one, god this board on days like today is sad, I cant be here any more today...bye

7. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

NEgativity is part of the package guys, sorry you like being cheated and scammed. I think I do speak for alot of us. Cloud you simply can't read or fail to understand what you read than. I started of thanking the developers. No I can not program APPS! I said I would be willing and WANT to pay for some apps. Touchy you as well should check your statements as well. Im glad you feel like paying 7.99 to 9.99 for shotty apps that crash your 300+ Iphone just what I wanted.

Overpriced apps that simply should be free of much cheaper. Lets take Ms. Pacman for example. Full price but NOTHING added not motion controls, no extras just a Plain POrt of an OLDDDDDDD game in fact it controls much worse than ANY free version on the web. Now im not bashing everything some of you deserve the money. Hell look at Aurara GREAT GAME alot of work went into it and it's FREE but than you get a Flashlight APP for 1.99 or .99 which is simply a BLANK WHITE SCREEN! This should be free and the game should cost something.

Granted people should make a buck just be realistic is all im asking.. Also some thought about your consumers how they will use it and what it will do to the IPHONE should be taken into consideration. Also support after the sale already some Apps are crashing things and the developers seem to be very quiet in some cases...

This is not a bash at all, just some words I would like them to hear.. If you do not like what Im saying sorry it's just my opinion.

8. firewood macrumors 604

There is no such thing as a "fair wage" or an overpriced app. I've never heard of anyone turning down a nice raise or big bonus because they thought it was "unfair". If people bid up the price of something you're selling on ebay way above what you paid, I really doubt that you'd refund their most of their money because they overpaid.

If you don't think a product is worth the asking price, then don't buy it. If even one person does buy some product at the asking price, then that means that other people have a different opinion about how much the product is worth, and yours may not be the opinion that the developer cares about.

And, as the final comeback, if you really think you can earn a "fair wage" (equal or better to what you're making now) developing and selling an app at some low price, why don't you write it yourself?

9. fat phil macrumors 6502

1. Totally agree. SMB's clearly been rushed out - a real shame cause it'd be great if it just had a darn control & sensitivity calibrator.

2. You can't pause an app. The Developer's Agreement firmly states you're not allowed to run background processes (paused or otherwise).

3. The prices will settle with time. You don't have to spend more than a couple hours looking through the AppStore catalogue to figure there's a lot of people who think they can make easy money. The biggest laugh is Bible Psalms & Readings for £19.99. Oh wait, no it's not, it's a flashlight app (white screen, COME ON!) for £0.59 or something....meanwhile, there's a free one in the free section rofl.

AppStore has 500+ apps in it, that's the headline Jobs wanted. The real story is, it has 450+ rubbish apps that don't do much to encourage a spending spree.

That's the mobile games & apps business all over though...

10. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

MS office app
    Video recording app
    two things im waiting for before i can officially say i want an iphone