An Opinion On AT&T postpaid vs gophone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Visionblue, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

Hello All

This is my first posting on MacRumors so I apologize if this in an inappropriate category/ unnecessary post.

I'm a recent Apple/iPhone convert. I purchased a used iPhone 4 about 6 mo ago and have been operating on ATT gophone plan for nearly a year. With their recent adaption to a smart phone plan I've been quite pleased with data speeds and service coverage.

However over the last few weeks I've noticed quite a bit of trouble with my home button and similar age related issues to the phone. Also its only a 16gb model and i would love more storage space for music as I am compensating for my recently deceased ipod with The music app. I've been considering upgrading to the iPhone 5 and signing up for a 2 year postpaid program. ATT seems like the best bet because I require a GSM phone as I have an awful case of travel lust and leave the country often. Tmobile has left a bad taste in my mouth before and our rickety history leads me to believe they would not finance me a new phone.

ATT has a refurbished 32gb iPhone 5 online for 250 and their most reasonable plan is around $100/month with 3gb of data.

My long winded story brings me to the question; Has anyone here upgraded to ATT postpaid after using gophone? What is your opinion on ATT service? Is the 3GB data service satiating you? Do you think an upgrade is worth it at this point and time? And finally, I'm also fond of the idea of having handset insurance. Is it best to go with the ATT insurance offered or is it better to have AppleCare+?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

People do prepaid because they knows is gonna cost them cheaper on the long run, this all can be entered into the calculator.

My monthly is 10 (ten) bux! But I know my usage exactly am always on WIFI. OBVIOUSLY it makes sense for me to spend up front for an unsubsidized phone.

But if u have the need for 3GB/month of cellular data, am going to wager prepaid/postpaid differential is minimal.

3. awesomest47 macrumors member

Well, as a very longstanding AT&T postpaid AND gophone customer, I think I can help. imo you should go to a postpaid plan. Calling AT&T allows you to switch over the air. AT&T has the best LTE in my area! if you have an iPad or are considering getting one, it is great because you can just add an iPad to your smartphone plan for another $10. The postpaid plans aren't much more expensive than your current plan and you'll get a lot more data. Gophone is really designed less for smartphones and more for people who'll make about 5 calls a month... Plus, many believe that AT&T gophone customers are treated secondrate in terms of network strength and customer service.. idk about this though. On the other hand, if you love gophone, remember than AT&T is now allowing visual voicemail and LTE on iPhones on their plan (finally!) Good luck!

4. RS125R macrumors newbie

I have the recently introduced $60 monthly GoPhone plan. This includes unlimited talk/text, international texting (100 countries, Can, Mex), 4G/LTE, VVM, 2GB data per month with no throttling. It does not allow tethering/mobile hot spot. FaceTime over cellular does not work either but is supposed to by YE2013 according to AT&T public press.

I agree that customer service for GoPhone is poor, but the performance is supposed to be on par with AT&T post paid plans. My speed test data suggests this is so. The same AT&T PP plan would be over $100/mo with taxes/fees, so there is considerable savings. You can set up auto-fill as well, but you will pay another $4.50 or so (depending on your state) for that convenience.

I have an unlocked iPhone 5 BTW.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has compared post and prepaid plans with actual experience. I have not.

5. mckbulldog02 macrumors newbie

I have the AT&T Go Phone $60 Plan as well.. I actually bought the iPhone 5S on launch day at an Apple Store. AT&T doesnt sell iPhones out right on launch day, well then I would be waiting until they are in stock, So I called Apple Stores and they said as long as you have the money come in and they will sell it as device only. I sold my iPhone on eBay and used them funds to offset the cost of the new one. Phone and LTE service work great in my area. I also pay an extra $10 for 1GB of data, so all in all i pay $70.00 a month and have the same plan as a postpaid account, and post paid account would be around $110.00 plus tax. I dont mind payin full retail because iPhones will always hold thier value and in return you have that as an offset to buy a new device, so after it was said and done, I paid $150.00 out of pocket for a new iphone and no contract.

Postpaid services requires i pay a $750.00 deposit ( phones outright are cheaper then the deposit )

6. irod87 macrumors regular

Any more input on this now that the $60 dollar Unlimited Talk, Text and 2GB of Data is out?

I've been with Verizon for years but am extremely tired of the high price and poor 3G in my area. ATT has HSPA+ in my town and it would be a great improvement. I have 2 5S's I want to bring over from Verizon so im thinking of going GO Phone verses post paid. Don't really see the benefit in post paid at this time. I just wonder if the Go Phone service is as good as Post paid. Customer service doesn't matter too much since I don't often need it/use it.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're happy with AT&T, look into AIO (prepaid).

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

A couple of weeks ago I'd say stay with GoPhone, but I've really been impressed with ATT's post paid plans they just released. If you bring your own phone the pricing is very close, and gets better the more lines you have, plus you get the perks of tethering which I didn't realize I would miss.

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

prepaid is cheaper but i like having call logs and call forwarding on a postpaid plan.