An other Remote desktop connection problem :D

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xcept, Dec 16, 2009.

1. xcept macrumors newbie

Right so im sitting here, and wondering a couple of things. I got my mac pro in england and right now im in denmark sitting here with my macbook pro trying to control it..... i setup Logmein client before i left which is wokring fine but the lag is annoying me, and i was wondering if there was a better solution so, I enabled "remote desktop" on my macpro and sitting here with apples Remote desktop trying to connect to the ip of my place in england (not the internal, the proper external) and as usual i can seee i can connect to it, as its a public "student" residential area, i know i cant access the router but i also know they have not blocked any ports including the 5900 port which is required. So is it my "DNS" which is blundering? coz i can see when i make the remote desktop under the sharing tab, does it not create a dns "submask" - and if thats true

when i put that in to dns i still cant connect any fancy or fantastic solutions? i dont mind a browser based client such has logmein, but one with a more "fluent" use would be wonderful, as i wanted to work on it live...

Thanks sorry for the wall of text.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. xcept thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried it, and the "delay" is annoying me enough for me not to be able to do my work smoothly on it. .... im sitting on a 20 mbt connection here, and its sitting on a 4 mbt there should be more then enough neither computer is uploading og downloading and if im right should this not create a "smooth" working environment?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have a slow connection, it will be slow. It doesn't matter if you're transferring files. The uploading/downloading that's using up bandwidth is the screen images. Remote desktop sharing apps are, by definition, bandwidth intensive. You can adjust the quality to optimize speed in the Preferences, but that's about all you can do.

5. xcept thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your responses, but i would really doubt my bandwidths and either end are not strong enough to handle the load... but got an good tests out there and i shall post the results of my tests...