Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j33buz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hi guys,

I just called Apple to organize an out of warranty replacement for my iPhone 3g. I just have 2 quick questions I was hoping somebody could answer. I have replaced the front casing on the iPhone myself (screen, LCD, front cover). Is it still eligible for replacement? Also, it is jailbroken and the baseband is 6.15, but it will not turn on or sync with iTunes so I dont think this will be an issue?

Does anybody know ?

Thanks a lot for the help.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Sure since you are going to pay the Out of Warranty fee, it just needs to look like an iPhone or a stack of iPhone parts.

You already have no warranty to void so your front repair or the jailbreak don't play any roll in the decision.

Dave

j33buz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Sure since you are going to pay the Out of Warranty fee, it just needs to look like an iPhone or a stack of iPhone parts.

You already have no warranty to void so your front repair or the jailbreak don't play any roll in the decision.

Dave

Awesome. Brilliant customer service so far from Apple! Extremely impressed :).

Thanks for the reply :).

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The Out of Warranty fee varies by country, in the USA it is currently $199 for all models of the iPhone.

Just a reminder, you have to give them the broken device so this does not work for lost or stolen iPhone replacement.

For an additional $29.99 you are able to get Express Replacement Service (ERS) for iPhone is a service option that is designed to reduce the amount of time you are without an iPhone. Normally, when requesting mail-in service, you must first send your iPhone to Apple before receiving a replacement. With ERS, Apple will ship you a replacement iPhone as soon as you request it, then you send your original phone to Apple. The replacement iPhone will be new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability.

To avoid incurring a late fee, you must return your iPhone so that Apple receives it within 10 days of shipping the replacement iPhone to you (“Return Period”).

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.