an SSD in mac mini 06 help, buying advice :-)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MWPULSE, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Hi guys, sometime relatively soon, im going to be looking into upgrading my mac mini (in signature). Its gonna be a personal project, thus im not really bothered by the cost so to speak, but not gonna spend 2 grand on it or anything stupid like that. :)

So im thinking, SSD? The main bottleneck of computers these days seem to be the HDD (mechanical n all that) So.. im totally baffled by the SSD's, what brands are good? which ones arent? whats the difference between MLC and SLC? Does it make any difference in terms of general computer performance, in the mac line particularly? I read on anandtech that the MLCs are upto 4 times slower in read times? Which according to the report is still ridiculously quick something like 900nanoseconds..

Im also gonna upgrade the CPU and the RAM, but im already set with those or at least the RAM, the CPU im just waiting for the prices to drop.. Hopefully by the time this is done, i will have a 60GB internal drive-thats all i realistically need. and also a 2.33GHz, 2GB of RAM.

Cheers peoples in advance :)
    PTP

2. MWPULSE thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

3. MWPULSE thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the Intel X-25M Gen 2 on my mac mini and it works really well. The Intel seems to be the popular choice right now.