An undecided Student looking for advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple11, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Apple11 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! I am a new member and this will be my first post. I have been following the Refurbished Macbook Pro thread and Waiting for Haswell thread for some time. I recently just sold my IMac 27 inch 2011 for $1,400 and I am in the market for a new computer. Specifically a notebook.

I am a college student and I start at the end of this month. I was waiting for Haswell but hearing all the talk about Apple scrapping the dgpu put me in somewhat of a bind. I will be using my notebook for light gaming (mainly World of Warcraft, SC2, and Diablo 3), word processing, and surfing the web.

The two notebooks I am looking at are the MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch (refurbished for $1,599) or the Razer Blade 14 inch (at $1,999) I like both notebooks because of there thin form factor/light weight. What would you recommend?

MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch:
    + Screen
    + Customer Support (AppleCare, Apple stores nearby)
    + OSX
    - Unsure if it can run games at 2880x1800 or close to that.
    - Afraid Apple will include a Dgpu in the Haswell MBPr

Razer Blade 14 inch:
    + Hardware (Haswell i7 & GTX 765m)
    + Design (Looks like a MacBook dipped in black)
    + Built just for gaming
    - Lack luster screen (TN panel)
    - Windows 8 (Prone to viruses)

Sorry for the wall of writing. If anything what notebook would you go with? Any advice is welcome!

Here's the link to the Razer Blade 14 inch
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

Thanks! :)

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The Razer Blade is a good machine for gaming. The MacBook Pro is a great machine all around. Go with that for OSX, better battery life, bigger and better screen, etc.

3. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I agree with what B... said. Razor is a good gaming laptop~! However the rMBP 15'' is just a better computer overall. I'm also going for the rMBP, since Haswell may take away the dGPU in the 15'' and the increase battery life may not be that great of an improvement.

4. SwaggMuffin macrumors newbie

I am a college freshman that was in the exact same situation as you. Tired of waiting for the new rMBP, I bought a 256 Razer Blade. After three days with it, I sent it back. The screen was awful. I couldn't justify a purchase of $2,000 for a screen like that, so washed out, way too bright. You could buy a 15 inch retina MBP for that much money, and I would either buy a refurb or wait for the new ones if I were you. I am currently stuck between these options as well.

5. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Do yourself a favor and go with the macbook...you will not be disappointed I can promise you that. In fact you will prolly find yourself worshipping it in your spare time...haha. The build quality of the macbook is unrivaled and osx is just simply stunning. :D:apple::D

6. dranakin macrumors 6502

I was also interested in the Razer Blade 14 due to the design and specs, but at that price, I'd expect a better display. Every review I've read faults the notebook for a lackluster panel.

7. CHRISTINAV macrumors newbie

macbook pro

i have a 2010 macbook pro 13' in great condition with box and books , i only used it for medical school . i love the computer but just had our first child and purchaced the ipad i get more use out of it now .

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Sucks to hear that the display is crap. The notebook is such a beast on paper. Thinner than the MBPr , and a 765M graphics card??! Awesome. But if the display sucks, the computer sucks.

Was gonna say definitely go for the Razer, as the MBPr barely gets by in some games. Not playable imo. Definitely can't run anything in the 2800 resolution. Diablo, which is a pretty easy to run game, runs at like 20-25 fps in the full resolution. And you need at least 40 fps in diablo to have it considered truly playable. Runs fine on normal resolution...but so does my old laptop. I also am going to get the Haswell MBPr when it comes out. I'm just going to have to finally admit that I won't be able to play any game I choose. I'll be limited to games like league of legends and diablo 3. No skyrim, crysis, bioshock, battlefield, etc.

9. Apple11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I am going to purchase the MBr instead of the Razer Blade. It's a shame that the Razer Blade does not offer a better quality screen. Maybe in the next revision :)

10. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

You could build a Hackingtosh out of the Blade, I guess.

Also I'm almost 100% positive Apple won't drop the dGPU, that would be just plainly retarded. I't won't be able to handle games at retina resolution nicely though, and why would you even want that? Full hd or even 1440x900 is enough on such a small screen.

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Why limit yourself? You're a student.

----------

********* Last I checked and tested it out, the over priced retina gadgets do not handle games well to push all those pixies so I'd say FAIL. Go with the beefy UFOware gadgets. The 17" MBP is the only notebook in the shiny red fruit company's line that can handle games, especially if you max out the 17"MBP to the brim. Best of luck - happy gaming etc...

(Plugging names of companies and gear without being compensated by the companies while you in turn offered them free placement ads is just bad for you, don't do it, play on words is more creative!)

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Patently false. The overclocked 650M in the 15" rMBP is more capable than the 17" 6770M by around 30-40%. So the 15" can "handle games" much better than any 17" Apple has made.

13. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

This