An unknown file appears in my Firefox download...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chaggi, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Chaggi macrumors member

So, I'm downloading some files in Firefox, and there is this file that keeps popping up with an exe. However, it only appears when I'm saving my file to a specific folder. As in, I only can see it when that happens. When I'm actually in the folder, I can't see the actual .exe

Since this is a pretty new Macbook Pro (got it on Friday), I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I haven't really downloaded any "shady" programs, most of what I have are the normal applications, with the possible exception of a flash card program that I JUST got.

I'm having trouble reproducing it at the moment - I'll post screenshots once I do. The .exes are always a mix of letters and numbers.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a hidden file. Use TinkerTool to view hidden files then you can investigate what the .exe is.

TEG

3. Chaggi thread starter macrumors member

(Not able to reproduce it yet)

The thing about it is, it only appears when I start a download. The reason being is that when I'm downloading, the folder is only xx megs, and the only file shown is xx megs. If the file was hidden (and assuming it's more than just 0 kb), wouldn't the folder size go up? I'm assuming it's not 0 kb because I have seen it once in my Downloads folder, and it was around a 2.1 meg file.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Chaggi thread starter macrumors member

It's not a hidden file. A .dmg appeared (seperate from Tinker) when I tried to download Tinker. Tried to show hidden files, not there.

Went to the Download file folder. Says nothing. I say show all info about the folder, there's supposedly 8 kbs there, with nothing in folder.

5. JPT macrumors regular

I believe it's a file actually from Firefox. Not sure if FF actually uses it or not though. I used to see it all the time when I was using 2.0.0.x 3.0 rules :p

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

firefox makes a temporary file (usually some weird randomized name) that disappears once your download finishes.

7. Chaggi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot. I guess that's what it must be. I've been using Firefox since it's release, and never seen it on a Windows machine. Thought I was downloading things that shouldn't be there.