Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Hello PowerPCers,

I've been feeling like I've needed to do this for a long time so here it is.

To start off, I owe most of the people who have been on this forum for longer than 8 months an apology. Look, some people stood up for me, and that was great, but I was truly an annoyance and often rude around here. I was looking back at some of my old posts and I've been way worse than I realized at the time. Things got off to a bad start with the Leopard Market thing, and it went down from there. Not only was I often nagging app creators, I was also making repeat threads and stealing other ideas, for reasons that I don't really know. So for all I've taken from and worsened this forum in my time here, I deeply apologize. Special apologizes to @MagicBoy, @bunnspecial, @gavinstubbs09, @Gamer9430, and @128keaton (if I left you off this list, let me know. It's been awhile ;)).

Now, an update on my Macs. I once had 6 Macs, but now I'm down to just 2, my black MacBook (which I shouldn't have bought and should have taken the advice of a certain member) and my iMac G4. My iBook G4 was given away (but has broken down, I've just heard :(), I sold the PowerMac G5, iBook G3, and Clamshell. That leaves just my iMac G4, which I've kept around just for the novelty and haven't turned on much lately.

Believe it or not, I've defeinently moved away from this once-total obsession of Power PC Macs. I've stopped the stupid idea of sticking to old Apple products, as I now have an iPhone 5S (which runs the latest iOS as of today, and works for everything I need and more) and am about to get a MacBook Pro from 2011, which is still old, but it's all I could muster. I'm obviously on a pretty limited budget. Now I'm more into sports, and, particularly, sports journalism. I'm working with a few other Cleveland fans to start up a website (I'm a huge Cleveland/Ohio State fan if you didn't know) which I'll post here when it's ready so you can take a peek if you want. I often watch ESPN or whatever else is on in my spare time, and am making it a goal to watch every Cleveland Indians game this season (except the west coast ones). However, I'd like to get back to toying around with that iMac a bit more, and will try to clear some time for that. I especially want to see how @SourceSunTom's theme has progressed. ;)

With that, this post is done. Again, extended apologizes for everything I did on this forum. Seeya!

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Don't worry about it, man. I don't think anyone cares at this point, if they ever did.

While you were busy getting over old Macs and watching sports, I've also tried and failed to leave MacRumors, and somewhere in the process ended up cementing a reputation for myself as the local Linux wacko who won't shut the hell up.

When I eventually drop social media altogether (it is not a healthy habit), MacRumors will be included, but until then, we're all here to have fun with it and learn along the way. After all, what else is there to life if you are not here to do exactly that? (There's likely a whole lot more to life, but this admittance doesn't fit with what I'm trying to do here at the moment, thus it shall be omitted.)

That aside, I've learned a lot from you all, and I'm thankful for that. We've had shared conflict (as is inevitable on online forums), resolution, and frustration (mainly towards Apple), all among a certain type of closeness. That's probably something many other communities can claim the same of, but the point remains that until it ends, thank you for the lessons, and thanks for the experiences.

PS: Everyone here could stand to have a little additional lightheartedness. My excellent jokes should not have been removed from the Public Beta / Cheetah threads.

That is all.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hi there, Henry!
"Making mistakes is the privilege of youth" (Maturity comes from learning from the mistakes ...)
Personally I haven't been bothered by any postings or projects, so I'm not a recipient for apologies anyway.
You should keep the remaining PPC stuff, even it might become an obsession, it's still fun. Having spent time with something make is part of one's life.
And take care not to light straw-fires in the future but walk slowly on further projects ...
Cheers, see you back one time ...

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I agree.

Do with your iMac G4 what I'm doing with mine. It's just an 800mhz model, but I'm fitting it with an SSD, new optical drive, new thermal paste, new PRAM battery, and refreshed internals (de-dusted). Afterwards, it might serve as a lightning-fast, drop-dead gorgeous server of some kind. Maybe files, could be music. Otherwise, you could sell it afterwards and make a wonderful profit. You've got great advantages to doing such things.

Personally, I've got the original box, discs, documentation, etc., so if I upgrade it, wait a little while for the average market rates to increase, and sell it as complete, I could make a VERY pretty penny. :D

It's sitting here in my room on a spare table all screwed up and apart right now, but I'll get to it when I can secure an SSD + drive + battery + time. Probably put it on Leopard / Panther afterwards. One for online services, the other for offline services. It's just too damn gorgeous to put on display without purpose.

Lubuntu is a great online / pretty good overall option, but it's going on OS X because of the greater amount I can probably end up getting out of the GPU, and maybe CPU, and Debian Sid just isn't there yet.

But if only some distro was able to sleep PPCs!! :mad: :(

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I agree.

Do with your iMac G4 what I'm doing with mine. It's just an 800mhz model, but I'm fitting it with an SSD, new optical drive, new thermal paste, new PRAM battery, and refreshed internals (de-dusted). Afterwards, it might serve as a lightning-fast, drop-dead gorgeous server of some kind. Maybe files, could be music. Otherwise, you could sell it afterwards and make a wonderful profit. You've got great advantages to doing such things.

Personally, I've got the original box, discs, documentation, etc., so if I upgrade it, wait a little while for the average market rates to increase, and sell it as complete, I could make a VERY pretty penny. :D

It's sitting here in my room on a spare table all screwed up and apart right now, but I'll get to it when I can secure an SSD + drive + battery + time. Probably put it on Leopard / Panther afterwards. One for online services, the other for offline services. It's just too damn gorgeous to put on display without purpose.

Lubuntu is a great online / pretty good overall option, but it's going on OS X because of the greater amount I can probably end up getting out of the GPU, and maybe CPU, and Debian Sid just isn't there yet.

But if only some distro was able to sleep PPCs!! :mad: :(
I'm not installing Linux, sorry. ;) I'll go with Leopard, play around with Leopard Rebirth. I don't need a media server tbh, but I'm sure I can find some use for it. I'll take a look next weekend, see what I can do. Do you know, is the value of the iMac G4 going up or down? I might be selling it at some point if I can't find a good use.
Yet you live in Michigan? Wow, I think I see the problem here ;)

Not that there is one, I'm just kidding.

Welcome back, I'm thankful for your contributions.
Yeah, and I got a lot of hate for it here in Michigan. ;) Doesn't stop me though, proud of my fanship. Especially the Browns ;).
And take care not to light straw-fires in the future but walk slowly on further projects ...
This has been a problem constantly throughout my life and I need to stop it. Even outside of this forum, I've made a few multiplayer leagues for the game Basketball GM that have died quickly. It's a great piece of advice which I really need to figure out.
PS: Everyone here could stand to have a little additional lightheartedness. My excellent jokes should not have been removed from the Public Beta / Cheetah threads.
Yeah, what the heck is going on? You just have a great sense of humor, not appreciated at all around here ;).

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I'm not installing Linux, sorry. ;) I'll go with Leopard, play around with Leopard Rebirth. I don't need a media server tbh, but I'm sure I can find some use for it. I'll take a look next weekend, see what I can do. Do you know, is the value of the iMac G4 going up or down? I might be selling it at some point if I can't find a good use.

I didn't suggest for you to install Linux. I was complaining about its inability, because it is after all, a valid alternative OS.

If you happen to replace the thermal paste, getting there is rather easy. The problem is the cleanup of the old stuff, and the application of the new. Apple, for some stupid reason, integrated some kind of plastic sheet over the processor, which makes it much harder to deal with paste, new or old. So when you're cleaning the old stuff off, do not use rubbing alcohol, otherwise you'll get liquid trapped inside the plastic sheet between the processor diodes, which does NOT spell good fortune. I had to learn the hard way, and ended up taking a flathead screwdriver with a paper towel over it, and inching it between the two surfaces, inside the impossible, tightly fit cavities, etc... It was a nightmare, and I don't believe you can remove the damn thing, because it is attached as if it were a part of the CPU. So be careful if you ever replace the paste on that thing, to anyone reading this. Go very slow and think ahead to the possible ramifications of your actions.

Going up I believe, at least for now. But I'm not the one monitoring eBay 24/6.

Well, at least if you sell it, it'll go to somebody who does have a use. It's a win-win for the computer, either way.

Yeah, what the heck is going on? You just have a great sense of humor, not appreciated at all around here ;).

Hmph, you're the first person here to acknowledge that. I've had better audiences elsewhere.

I'm no comedian, but damn, you'd think the folks around here are soulless...

Reactions: AmazingHenry

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Hello PowerPCers,

I've been feeling like I've needed to do this for a long time so here it is.

To start off, I owe most of the people who have been on this forum for longer than 8 months an apology. Look, some people stood up for me, and that was great, but I was truly an annoyance and often rude around here. I was looking back at some of my old posts and I've been way worse than I realized at the time. Things got off to a bad start with the Leopard Market thing, and it went down from there. Not only was I often nagging app creators, I was also making repeat threads and stealing other ideas, for reasons that I don't really know. So for all I've taken from and worsened this forum in my time here, I deeply apologize. Special apologizes to @MagicBoy, @bunnspecial, @gavinstubbs09, @Gamer9430, and @128keaton (if I left you off this list, let me know. It's been awhile ;)).

Now, an update on my Macs. I once had 6 Macs, but now I'm down to just 2, my black MacBook (which I shouldn't have bought and should have taken the advice of a certain member) and my iMac G4. My iBook G4 was given away (but has broken down, I've just heard :(), I sold the PowerMac G5, iBook G3, and Clamshell. That leaves just my iMac G4, which I've kept around just for the novelty and haven't turned on much lately.

Believe it or not, I've defeinently moved away from this once-total obsession of Power PC Macs. I've stopped the stupid idea of sticking to old Apple products, as I now have an iPhone 5S (which runs the latest iOS as of today, and works for everything I need and more) and am about to get a MacBook Pro from 2011, which is still old, but it's all I could muster. I'm obviously on a pretty limited budget. Now I'm more into sports, and, particularly, sports journalism. I'm working with a few other Cleveland fans to start up a website (I'm a huge Cleveland/Ohio State fan if you didn't know) which I'll post here when it's ready so you can take a peek if you want. I often watch ESPN or whatever else is on in my spare time, and am making it a goal to watch every Cleveland Indians game this season (except the west coast ones). However, I'd like to get back to toying around with that iMac a bit more, and will try to clear some time for that. I especially want to see how @SourceSunTom's theme has progressed. ;)

With that, this post is done. Again, extended apologizes for everything I did on this forum. Seeya!
It honors you a lot to come here like this! And I often wished you'd come back here as I learned a lot from you in my early ppc days some years ago :)

Hmph, you're the first person here to acknowledge that. I've had better audiences elsewhere.
Not the first or only one, but the first to tell you ;)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

While I'm not against jokes at all as long as they're not offensive, those threads are meant to provide someone interested in running Public Beta or Cheetah with accurate information on supported hardware and software. I acknowledge that this kind of person would be likely to recognise the joke as being just that, but it might be confusing nonetheless. I didn't list QEMU as a supported platform either. ;)
[doublepost=1536752908][/doublepost]
[...] and somewhere in the process ended up cementing a reputation for myself as the local Linux wacko who won't shut the hell up.
That's no problem at all in my book. We here may be seen as the local PPC wackos who stubbornly refuse to give up their ancient machines by users of current Macs. :D

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
While I'm not against jokes at all as long as they're not offensive, those threads are meant to provide someone interested in running Public Beta or Cheetah with accurate information on supported hardware and software. I acknowledge that this kind of person would be likely to recognise the joke as being just that, but it might be confusing nonetheless. I didn't list QEMU as a supported platform either.

QEMU is not a clear, obvious joke that was deliberately put there with 5 tons of salt. That could be a legitimate method of running early versions of OS 10.

But iPhone X, a late 2017 phone with no keyboard, runs Cheetah, an early 2001 experimental venture from a completely different architecture? Really? Meanwhile, Cheetah runs on a Power Mac G3, a Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iBook G3, etc... But there's a very clear, purposeful outlier that was obviously put there for gits and shiggles, otherwise the poster would have at least gone into detail about why Cheetah can live on the iPhone X, and not the 8, or the 7, or the 6S. That's what makes it so obviously funny.

Same for the other. There is absolutely no way in hell that a 5K iMac from 1 year ago runs the original public beta from 18 years ago, meanwhile Apple won't even give you any support at all for your product if it's older than 7 years, and it doesn't even have any consistencies, like why would the iMac 5K (2017) be able to run it when the iMac (2016) can't, the MacBook Pro (2017) can't, the Mac Pro (2013), can't, etc.

The absurdity is the joke, and I really think it would give random passerby a nice chuckle, if not something more.

You all are too damn serious, and this is coming from a very serious guy, but just not here, because a little forum about old Macs is not a fitting place to put it. Think about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmazingHenry

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
No need to apologise, to be honest I recall things livening up when you came along!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.