An XRAID and Fibre Channel Question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by NOTNlCE, Apr 5, 2015.

1. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hey folks -

Just a quick question about how Fibre Channels work. Currently, my home server is an '06 Xserve connected via 4 Port Fibre Card to my XRAID for home Time Machine backups and mass/remote storage. The Xserve handles a few other services using OS X Lion Server, but that's irrelevant.

The question is, should the Xserve die or should I desire to replace it, as it's loud, heavy, hot, and power-inefficient, is there any way (apart from using a Mac Pro or a Hack with a PCIe slot) to keep the Fibre Channels either via adapter or something else? Preferably not a solution that's crazy expensive like a Thunderbolt PCIe Case to use the Fibre Card. Obviously, something like a USB 3.0 Storage Array would be better, but I stockpiled IDE drives and I'd love to get my use out of the XRAID and Xserve. Just wondering as a failsafe or upgrade option.

The bit of research I've done shows that this is probably not possible, but I just want to see if anyone here knows of an alternative.

Thanks as always,
    -N

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A few companies do make a Thunderbolt to Fibre Channel adapter. They are pricy, so much that it would be a better idea to get a new NAS than use with with an XRAID.

3. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

That's what my research has turned up as well. Unfortunate that USB 3.0 can't be converted to Fibre.