Analog audio capture and speed adjustment

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by senseless, May 27, 2012.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I have an audio cassette which was recorded on a faulty machine. Parts are too fast and others too slow. It's a vital piece of family history, so I would like to fix and then share this on FB.

I have the full Toast Titanium package including SoundSoap. I also have Final Cut Express which has speed adjustment, but this may be a poor way to save audio files. Any ideas?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you are going to do a lot of processing be sure and capture the audio at the best bit rate and sample depth you can. Later after processing you can down sample to the standard CD format or whatever you like. But you should do the processing at the very high bit rate so as not to add even more noise to the recording.

I would use Logic because that is what I have and know how to use. I suggest to pic something for those same reasons. If Final Cut allows you to change the speed use that. Then export the audio.

You could also try getting a 30 day free trial or Adobe Audition. It really is good for this and you'd be done in 30 days. (Apple does not offer free trials of their software unless you are willing to work in an Apple store. I've heard of people actually doing that, spending 4 or 6 hours in the store.