Analog audio input on 4G missing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macstatic, Oct 14, 2010.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I'm considering buying an iPod Touch (4th generation 32GB model) but just learnt that it no longer has analog audio input capabilities like earlier iPod Touch models had.
    Audio recording apps such as FIRe are said not to work with the 4G (I'm not sure if this means it won't work at all, won't work with an external mic which it needs, or will just work with the built-in mic which the app doesn't recommend), so I'm wondering if this applies to all audio recording applications or just the ones which demand the use of an external mic? Given that it has a built-in mic I would assume you can still record audio (in mono?) although not in Hi-Fi quality (hopefully "good enough" for legibility though) ;)

I understand from the above link that USB mics are supported but aren't yet available.

I would like to have the ability to record lectures, conversations etc. I bet I could still get a 3G iPod Touch (probably cheaper than the 4G), but the higher resolution, video-phone capabilities, camera (although it's crap from what I read, but still a camera if you don't have anything else at hand), faster processor etc. are appealing.

Anything else missing from the 4G which would make a 3G a better choice?

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, good to hear :)
    That thumbtack mic looks cool, but unfortunately there's only mention of compatibility with the iPod Touch 2G. Have you heard that it also works with the 4G?

4. unb3k4nn7 macrumors newbie

Maybe there is or will be something to plug in the dock-connector if the 3,5 mm plug doesn't work.

5. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It's a headphone jack mic. It works with any iPod that the Remote+Mic headphones work with. So yes.

6. alecto999 macrumors newbie

Astonished !

I can't believe that Apple can't make their products backward compatible ... most other manufacturers have no such trouble.

So loyal Apple customers who have invested in high quality audio input devices such as the iAudiointerface etc (which cost as much, if not more than the iPod) are left in a lurch when they upgrade to a new version.

The internal mic and the external mic (using headset adapters) pass through a filter which limits LF performance dramatically, rendering "HiFi" quality recording impossible.

I hear that StudioSixDigital (www.studiosixdigital.com/) are hoping to release, in 2011, a new docking device that will offer line level input & output for the iPod Touch 4G.

7. Scott549 macrumors regular

The built-in mic works great for basic recording, but not if you want to use the iPod as a high-fidelity recorder. Hopefully some campatible equipment will be available soon. Apparently Blue Microphones is working on something too.