Analog Cable to Optical Cable, (adapter)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zeviet, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Zeviet macrumors newbie

I have a mac pro with an optical line in. I bought a cable and connected it to the Mac Pro, but the receiver(where I want to plug the line in) is old and only received optical. Is there some sort of adapter that would convert the connect that doesn't cost $200? I was able to connect an analog cable from the front of the mac pro's headphone jack into the back of the receiver, but the sound isn't really the greatest. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
    Zevie Tannenbaum

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Zevie, your post is somewhat incoherent. What do you mean by "... and only received optical." Isn't that what you want?

Let's get a few things straight. The optical cable is called TOSLINK. It is digital. It transports numerous audio channels. I use it to connect my Power Mac G5 to my Logitech 5.1 speaker system. Analog requires a separate conductor to transport each audio channel.

I don't see the point of using a digital to analog converter. You would be better served buying TOSLINK-compatible equipment. However, it appears that there are adapters available. Let me Google them for you.