Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickzander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I have a bit of a problem.

I have a mid-90's Sony Camcorder. I would love to buy a highend hd digital camcorder, but right now I cannot come near affording it, due to the fact I recently purchased a new mac.

Anyway, the camcorder only has Analog outputs (s-video), but I would like to find a way to put the video onto my mac. Do any of you know of a solution for this. Is there a type of converter, that will connect into my firewire port? I'm not really sure, I'm kind of new to this(as you can tell).

Thanks a great deal for the help..
Patrick

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
apple uk has this

Canopus ADVC-110

Convert your S-VHS, Hi8 and 8mm analog tapes to DV in one simple step using the ADVC-110. The converted DV video can then be transferred to your Mac via the FireWire port and stored on your hard drive where they can be edited using your favorite photo or video applications.

Other converters can lose audio/video sync when converting longer segments of video. The ADVC-110 is the first DV converter that supports locked audio when converting from analog to digital, assuring perfect audio and video synchronization.

• Custom hardware Codec chip (original Canopus algorithm).
• Locked Audio Support (capture long clips w/perfect audio sync).
• 4-pin DV jack on front; 6-pin FireWire jack on back.
• Analog input connector on front.
• Analog output connector on back.

£199 but i'm sure you can find cheaper products

patrickzander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Thanks for the help.

If anyone else has suggestions or knows of any other products, that happen to be cheaper, please let me know.

Thanks again.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
patrickzander said:
Thanks for the help.

If anyone else has suggestions or knows of any other products, that happen to be cheaper, please let me know.

Thanks again.

All but the most low-end mini-DV camera have a pass through feature where the analog input is digitized and passed through the firewire cable. THis is the best way to go as tha cameras to a good job.

Someone on another thread pointed out the used broken cameras are cheap. For the above use a camera with a broken tape transport would be ideal

I resently did a bunch of transfoers from analog tape using a mini-DV camera but I recored to DV tape. I figured I may some day not have access to a working VHS or 8mm player. A working second hand mini-DV camera is not that much money.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Go Rent One!

Lots of photo/video stores rent digital camcorders fairly inexpensively. Just make sure the one you rent has got a built-in A->D converter and you're all set. I've used my Canon Optura-20 to convert my old VHS-C family videos and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.