Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamblia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Hello. I would like to digitalize my 8mm video cassette movies. What do I need to buy to do this? Thanks

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
lamblia said:
Hello. I would like to digitalize my 8mm video cassette movies. What do I need to buy to do this? Thanks
You probably want a FireWire analog to digital converter. This will give you DV video you can edit or burn DVDs from. A good one is the Canopus ADVC-50. There are other ones in its price range, but none match the Canopus' quality for less than $1,000. This box will cost you about $220. You can also go to various places like photo stores to have the service done for you if you don't want to buy a box, but it's not cheap and the quality can vary a lot. You'll also need a lot of hard drive space for the video if you want to edit it or save it, for DV about 13 GB per hour of video (although you can save it to DVDs if you have DVD burning capability). Finally you want digitizing software, usually iMovie or Final Cut Express/Pro in the case of Macs.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
lamblia said:

If you are thinking of upgrading your camera for a digital on, most modern digicams will also act as a A/D converter, it's mostly called "AV-in to DV".

Plug the analog outputs of your 8mm camera into the AV ins on the digi and go FireWire to your Mac, fire up iMovie or FCP and away you go.

Saves the cost of a box, will cost a little more, but you get a digital camera as well... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.