Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aminalw47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Can I do the following to get my old analog tape video into imovie to edit etc?

• Download Handbrake

• Put my analog tape on a dvd (I have the hardware and a good dvd maker)

• Put the DVD drive in the Mac

Here is where I have problems????

• Open disk in the DVD drive and copy to hard drive

• Drag and drop into iphoto, How??

• Open it with imovie just like the normal process, How??

Please help or let me know that I can’t do it.

Thanks

Les Winberg

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
You need to use Handbrake to convert the DVD movie file to something that iMovie can import, like an .mov.

But you should avoid doing it this way if you possibly can. Authoring a movie to DVD heavily compresses it, then you have quality loss again when you convert it with Handbrake.

A better way: use a DV camera or deck to record the analog footage to tape, then import that tape directly into iMovie. Not all cameras have analog inputs, but they are out there.

aminalw47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
I posted the two similar threads about analog video to ivideo because it didn't look like people understood the first one.

I need more input about this. If I really can't do what Mac told me when I bought the Macbook without buying more equipment or doing work arounds, will have to give the Mac Back.

Thanks

People at Mac can't help or don't know how to help me.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Did someone at the Apple Store claim that you could do this without any other hardware?

Even though you can what you're describing on a PC, you still shouldn't use the analog-to-DVD-to-MOV-to-iMovie method, unless you really don't care what it looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.