Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
My workhorse Canopus AVDC 110 ceased to function with Catalina. So I bought a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. That doesn't work either (which sort of makes sense given it was new in 2014). Are there any affordable (sub $300) analog video capture devices left on the market that will work with current Macs? (I have the 2018 mini.) Ideally, I'd like it to have TB 3. I've been searching for a few weeks and can't seem to find anything.
[automerge]1589936240[/automerge]
Well that was quick! I saw another thread further down. It looks like my best bet is VIDBOX. Thanks in advance!

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
The Intensity Shuttle is still a supported product and should work in Catalina with newer versions of the Desktop Video software

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Have a look at this:

Reactions: dandeco

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The Intensity Shuttle is still a supported product and should work in Catalina with newer versions of the Desktop Video software

I installed the latest software. It didn't make a difference, not in Final Cut, Quicktime nor Blackmagic's own software.

I've looked into the Elgato, but it's restricted to 640x480 capture whereas the VidBox claims 720. So I'll take the extra pixels.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I find that it does make a little difference. Importing it at a higher resolution usually results in playback that isn't as blocky. Obviously, there's not a lot of definition in the original source. But higher resolution on import seems to help.

EDIT: I just captured 2 hours worth of footage with VidBox, and I'm happy with it. The only drawback is that you have to use their own app for capturing the analog footage. It's really simple to use though and does an adequate job. Then I can bring the footage into FC and tweak it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Braine
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.