Analogue Modem in Parallels Coherence ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by George Knighton, Oct 31, 2010.

1. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I've searched on and off for a couple of days, and cannot find a thread at Parallels or here that specifically addresses my problem or provides a workaround.

With some of the work that I do, I have to use an analogue serial modem to dial directly into servers in cases where they have lost contact with the outside world.

There's no way around this...don't bother speculating or assuming...just assume this one thing: I have to dial directly into analogue modem banks in cases where individual machines have lost contact with the outside world.

:)

I am on the iMac referenced in my signature.

I have a USB modem connected that is recognised by OSX and recognised by Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate in the Bootcamp partition.

The terminal application and the modem work just fine when I start the machine in Bootcamp and run everything through Windows.

However, I cannot seem to get this to work in the virtual machine through Parallels. There isn't any relevant answer from Parallels or Apple support forums, and searching here doesn't reveal anything, either. The modem just won't get recognised in Windows running in a virtual machine.

Any ideas, folks?

It's not an emergency. This is only going to happen very rarely, if ever, and I only have to test it once/week, and for this I can certainly boot into the Windows partition to do it.

But you'd think that with all these cores and all this technology and stuff, there'd be some way to do this in the Parallels virtual machine.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need to "push" the USB modem to your VM (just like making the iSight camera work in the VM). Unlike HID devices you must choose if the device is connected to the host or your VM when you use it.

B

3. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

In case you cannot tell, I am very new to Macs. :)

I will try to figure out how to do that, but in the mean time, if you have a moment to explain that, I'd appreciate it very much!

4. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

"Just like iSight" was my clue. Searched for that, even though I don't need iSight in Windows, and figured it out.

It works! :)

Thank you very much for the clue.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW same thing goes on a Windows host with a Windows VM. Most USB devices can only be connected to the host or the VM, you just have to pick which one with whatever VM software you use.

I wasn't more specific and gave you the clue instead sine I am a Fusion user not Parallels. ;).

B

6. George Knighton thread starter macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I'm reviving this to report an additional problem.

This USB modem works perfectly fine in Bootcamp.

However, in the Parallels virtual machine, it has trouble negotiating almost all of the time.

Perfect in Bootcamp...buggy in Parallels VM.

Any ideas?