Analysing PDF contents

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by superscape, Aug 27, 2014.

1. superscape, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi,

As part of a Mac OS X app (in Objective-C) I need to be able analyse a PDF and determine some characteristics. PDFKit is quite limited and I'm not sure that CGPDF is going to be much better unless I'm missing something when looking at the documentation.

I need to find out things like...

Minimum font size used
    Minimum line thickness

...and so on. Does anyone know any third party frameworks/classes that could help, or any clever way I've overlooked?

Thanks

2. subsonix macrumors 68040

PDFKit is, according to Apple a subframework of Quartz, so I do think you can get a lot more details from CGPDF* type functions.

https://developer.apple.com/library.../dq_pdf_scan/dq_pdf_scan.html#//apple_ref/doc

3. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Yeah, thanks for that.

I'm coming to the conclusion that CGPDF is going to be the way to go. Just looks like one heck of a learning curve! I was hoping someone would have a nice, user friendly wrapper round it. CGPDF documentation here I come...

4. aly macrumors member

Depending on your budget you could check out Debenu Quick PDF Library (www.debenu.com). I use the Windows version on a daily basis in work but they recently released a OS X version. I haven't used the OS X version myself but the PC one can do all you ask and is very easy to use.

5. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Thanks for the tips, folks.

Just for the record, and in case anyone having similar problems stumbles across this thread in future, I ended up going the CGPDF route after all. Taking a thorough look at:

https://github.com/KurtCode/PDFKitten

..and the PDF specs over at Adobe set me on the right tracks. I'll warn those following in my footsteps though that its a complicated project!