Analyst: 13" MBP Retina In October

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mojo1, Jun 14, 2012.

  1. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

    JohnnyQuest

    Joined:
    May 25, 2006
    #2
    Sounds about right. Might even happen alongside an iMac refresh. I'm glad I ordered the 15" because I can't wait until October relying on rumors of a 13".
     
  2. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
  3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    Same. Will ride out the 15" for a year and then probably sell it and downgrade to the 13" retina.
     
  4. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #5
    You will lose quite a lot of money though.
    I love the 15-inch size but I'd like to get the 13-inch just to save money :)

    PS: I ordered the new MacBook Pro online, still waiting for it to ship :D Can't wait!
     
  5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #6
    This is, of course, the same analyst that some people were calling an idiot last week for, well, for, saying exactly what Apple was going to do. :)

    I don't know if I'd want the 13 - lower resolution, integrated graphics only. I think if we wait another year we'll get the same resolution (or higher) in a smaller, lighter Air.
     
  6. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

    golf1410

    Joined:
    May 7, 2012
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #7
    Intel HD 4000, can it handle retina display resolution?
     
  7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #8
    I wont lose much. I keep my products in excellent condition and I know how to market them for sale. Just sold my Early 2011 13" MBP. Sucker paid me $1025, I bought it for $1100
     
  8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #9
    I would be pretty disappointed if it only had integrated graphics. I would actually prefer dual core and dedicated GPU (maybe even something less powerful than the 15", like a GT640M) to a quad core and no dedicated GPU.
     
  9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #10
    This is great news!! Exactly what I've been waiting for. It would make sense, since they updated the 17" MBP a couple months after releasing the unibody design.
     
  10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    Highly doubt they'll come out with a 17" Retina. 17" MBP account for 1% of MBP sales. I would say it's fair to assume that they have been discontinued.
     
  11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #12
    I'm not saying they will. I'm saying it would make sense for then to release a different model (13") a couple months later like they did before with the 17" MBP.
     
  12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    #13
    I don't think the poster was insinuating a 17" retina was coming, rather that Apple has been known to update a laptop just a couple months after a complete refresh to bring it onto the same level as the other size offerings.

    i.e. When the unibody pro was introduced, the 17" was left out initially but was updated a few months later. Now, the 13" was left out of the retina upgrade, but could soon be upgraded in a few months.
     
  13. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    #14
    Easy way to find out. Test it on the RMBP. You probably won't want the 1900x1200 resolution on a 13", so if the RMBP can run on the Intel HD 4000 fairly well at 1680x1050, then the answer would seem to be yes. So far as I'm aware, the only lag reports emerge in the 1900x1200 resolution on the RMBP. That suggests the answer is yes, it'll be fine, especially considering the default resolution would be 2560x1600.

    ----------

    The big question though is: do dGPUs require two fans? Is there enough space in the 13" enclosure for two fans?
     
  14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    Yeah, just noticed that. Read it too fast!
     
  15. charpi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    #16
    I've seen someone post a file from mountain lion containing all the code names for all the macbooks and iMacs with a slot between the non retina MBPs and RMPBs. Maybe it will be the 13 inch?

    Can't seem to find the post now. Can any helpful person link me to the post? It was a few days ago in one of the threads here.
     
  16. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    #17
    Happens to all of us.
     
  17. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

    skywalkerr69

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2011
    Location:
    New York City
    #18
    Dude. Wait. Don't spend $1,000 more for 2" unless it's for a woman's pleasure. :cool:
     
  18. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2011
    Location:
    Virginia
    #19
    13" is the perfect dimension for me. I'd liked to see retina in the size. I don't care whether it comes to the 13 MBP or Air first. Either way, I'd want it.
     
  19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    #20
    I feel the same way. Leaving out the 13" was a rather strange move. Just cause we don't need all the power that comes with a 15" doesn't mean we wouldn't enjoy the retina screen.
     
  20. RickG macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    #21
    i went to the apple store and placed the 13 air next to the MBP retenia and was surprised at how glossy the retenia was- the glare was too much for me to spend that much money- being as I think the 13 is the perfect size for me I was not willing to pay such a high price for the retenia 15- the screen was a bit more crisp when looking at small text on websites but wasn't like a total OMG for me- while I prefer anti-glare I would get the new retenia but only in a 13 size at a much lower price- the new 15 retenia is a new benchmark but I will be waiting for the 13 pro or if I break down I will get the 13 air- come on Apple get that 13 pro retenia out please and get the price down ....
     
  21. Will G. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    #22
    How likely do you guys think this is? I'd definitely wait if a 13" Retina in October was guaranteed, but it would suck to wait until October only to learn that this is inaccurate, or that release plans have changed...
     
  22. mobiousblack macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2012
    #23
    Seems as unlikely as it was for them to announce the new iPhone at WWDC. But apple has surprised us before so who knows.
     
  23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #24
    I think that there is probably truth to this rumor. Nobody could possibly know whether it will be (or already has been) delayed.

    This is the guy who said that Apple would release a new Retina line at WWDC and keep the old form factor MBP, seems like he was dead on there (except I think he referred to the new line as "Macbook" and Apple actually called it a Macbook Pro).
     
  24. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2011
    #25
    I do not care for Apple's "glassy" displays but I also prefer the 13" MBP (I've owned 12" iBooks and a 15" MBP).

    I solved my dilemma by using the $35 Power Support anti-glare film: http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/macbook-pro-13/anti-glare-film.html. I researched various anti-glare films and the Power Support had the best user and pro reviews.

    I compared it to my 15" MBP with a matte display and I could not see a difference. No artifacts or color-shifts too. I also use it on my iPad. I'm a photographer and I'm picky about my displays; the Power Support film exceeded my expectations.
     

Share This Page