Analyst: $99 iPhone, souped-up 3G model on the way

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katuls, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Katuls macrumors member

*I searched... didn't find anything

-Credible or not?

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/analyst-99-iphone-souped-3g-model-way-48625

A cut-down, iPhone for the masses is on the way says a well-connected US analyst. The low-cost model will be sold around the world by partners like Vodafone, and tied to cheaper data plans. He also spills details of the iPhone 3G's coming upgrade.

In a report released today, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky claims a $US99 version of the iPhone will be released around June or July.

No 3G or GPS
    The $US99 iPhone will have the same physical dimensions and size screen as the current iPhone 3G (pictured), says Mr Abramsky, and share the flagship model’s wi-fi and Bluetooth. The main price trimming will come from leaving out 3G (in favour of 2.5G) and GPS. The cheapie iPhone will also get saddled with a low-rez camera, by Mr Abramsky’s reckoning (see table below).

Apple will also lean on carriers to provide a heavy subsidy, and lower-cost, capped $US15 monthly data plans (on a 2.5G connection, users would be pushed to download too much multimedia in any case).

iPhone 3G to get sharper screen, video camera
    At the same time, Apple will also upgrade the iPhone 3G, says Mr Abramsky.

According to the analysts’ unspecified “checks”, the new iPhone 3G will be sold at the same price as today’s models, but have some new features, but double the resolution of the touchscreen to 720 x 480, add a video camera, and boost memory options from today’s 8GB or 16GB to 16GB or 32GB.

Another Story related to this:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/analyst-sees-a-99-crippled-iphone-in-your-future.ars

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The screen will be doubled to 720x 480? Its already 480x320.....

Like I said, I dont trust a damn thing an analyst says, because its PURE speculation, and when it comes to apple, they dont know ****.

3. Katuls thread starter macrumors member

If you have ever seen the Samsung Pixon (has 720X480), it's incredible to see. The Iphone would look incredible with this res.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

But will it have Copy/Paste, support MMS and Push email?

I sure hope it can't be jailbroken either. JB is the source of all evil.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was just pointing out that they cant get the simplest of facts right.....

6. Katuls thread starter macrumors member

God I hope so.

Or it's back to Android.

7. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose