Analyst: Apple placed chip order for 32GB iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

not very surprising. If they DIDNT come out with a 32gb phone this year, then i would be surprised.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

But nice to see things start to fall in place.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's about time. Now I'll finally be able to get my entire iTunes music collection on my phone and not worry about only syncing certain playlists!

Wonder how much it'll be?

4. Andruw91 macrumors regular

Hopefully a 32gb iphone will come out. This is all that was keeping me from getting one. Come on June!!

5. mappyman macrumors regular

Apple should do away with integrated flash RAM had just have a mini SDXC slot. We can then buy flash upto 2 TB.

6. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I agree...and use the free space for a better battery...

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The chips listed in the article above are 8Gbit and 16Gbit. That's 1GB and 2GB respectively. Those are both smaller than the Flash memory chips that are already used in current-generation iPhones. It is reasonable to presume that a higher-capacity iPhone would use higher-capacity chips, or perhaps doubled-up equal-capacity chips. But it would be a step in the wrong direction to use an even greater number of lower-capacity chips.

I suppose it's possible the article was actually referring to raw silicon wafers instead of packaged chips. In that case, perhaps Apple might integrate several of them into a single application-specific package (perhaps combining it with the system RAM and/or CPU) in which case this might be relevant to a possible 32GB iPhone.

Otherwise, the purchase is probably in reference to some other product with integrated Flash storage.

8. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

My thoughts also, and with the quantity ordered (100 million), that must be multiple chips per device because they usually only build a few million units at a time. 100,000,000 chips / 4,000,000 devices = 25 chips per device.