Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144532-apple_tv_glee.jpg
As relayed by AppleInsider, Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White has issued a new research note discussing the possibility of Apple releasing a "Smart TV" as soon as later this year. White's speculation comes from "data points" picked up at a Chinese electronics trade show being held this week."Our research suggests this Smart TV would go well beyond the miniature $99 second-generation Apple TV that the company released last fall and provide a full-blown TV product for consumers," White said.

He went on to say that although Apple has long been projected by company watchers to enter the HDTV market, the Mac maker now appears to be "moving down this pace at a faster pace than the market expected."Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has been the most vocal proponent of the idea of an Apple-branded television set integrating iTunes-focused video subscription services, but even Munster has typically seen such a release happening a bit further down the road than pegged in White's new claims.

Apple executives have said in the past that the company has no interest in the television market given slim profit margins and an already-crowded field, but Munster has remained steadfast in his belief that Apple does have plans for this market, and White now appears to be joining him.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Apple-Branded Television Could Appear Later This Year

Cuthbert

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
wohoo!

I would be greatly interested in this. Likely would not buy the first generation. It would aso depend on size and actual features. Ive been greatly disappointed in the revamp of the apple tv and am looking for apple to do more for my living room than this past pathetic attempt at ATV2.

tsadi

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Will it be a cinema display with receiver?

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope, no way

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I don't mind as long as the pricing is competitive, if its over-priced no way I'll be getting one..

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Will it be a cinema display with receiver?

Id love to see a new standard for "HD". 1440p would be nice...but current media would have to catch up. That said, I dont think Apple could make a cost effective television. Sorry, but theyd sell a 42inch TV for 2000.000 easy.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
man how much would this thing cost? the 27" display is already 1000 bucks, and this would have to be at lease 42" for people to put it in their living rooms.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope, no way

Precisely!

This is utter nonsense, Apple doesn't enter markets where they can't succeed if not dominate. With all the less expensive options out there, how well do the $999 Cinema Displays sell? Exactly. :)

Besides, there already is an Apple TV.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
they probably had it in the labs, but the pricing finally came down this year. 3D is a dud and internet enabled TV's dropped in price by 50% in some cases since last summer

if apple doesn't get into this market then itunes is going to be dead in a few years along with other idevices

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No thanks, I don't want to have to jailbreak my TV to make it useful.

These TV rumours are bogus IMO. I think the rumour will turn out to be related to the AppleTV box we have today, rather than a TV.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Seriously doubt it's gonna happen. As said, low margins and really though competition.

They'd fare a lot better by licensing AirPlay to current manufacturers and let customers stream to TVs without an Apple TV.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not a single analyst has explained WHY this would be better for Apple than simply selling more Apple TVs. They just say it like it makes sense and expect us to believe them.

I'm sorry, but that's not good enough.

WHY would Apple want to take on shipments of large, expensive packages?

WHY would Apple want to limit their market for a new product to people who want an entirely new TV?

WHY do you think Apple cares more about what logo is on the back of the TV that by what software is showing up on the screen?

And WHY isn't the Apple TV good enough for the goal of getting the iOS and iTunes worlds into the living room?

I think the changes to the latest Apple TV is a sign of where Apple wants to be headed. The next Apple TV will be even smaller and come free when you buy a Mac, iPad, or iPhone. Wait and see! Just like giving e-mail away helps Google's ecosystem, so does getting Apple TVs into people's houses help Apple's ecosystem.

Selling some $2,000 TV doesn't help with that.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Hummm... make it a little of everything.... Build in a Mac, and AppleTV with Wifi, Airplay, Blue tooth, and Thunderbolt.

Now you have a computer, a media center and a TV. Add a wireless keyboard with a build in trackpad and now I can sit on my couch and do everything. And don't forget... link in your iPad or iPhone for more fun! :)

I'd become the iPotato! LOL!

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008

It's going to have to outperform the ATV2 by leaps and bounds for me to purchase it. Sounds cool if it does and comes in at a reasonable price point though.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Touchscreen TV?!?

Panasonic owns Pioneer KURO technology. I won't hold my breath for this even if it does become true.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Highly unlike that Apple will release an actual tv. More probable are televsions from major manufacturers that have air play functionality built in.

This. I can see manufacturers adopting Airplay or eventually adopting something more sophisticated like actual software from apple to mimic that of the Apple TV

strang

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Personally it's a lot easier to swallow $99 a year for a new Apple TV (set top box) than $999 a year for a new Apple branded television.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Anytime an "analyst" opens their mouth, it should be page 2 material at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.