Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
You say this like Android phones haven't always had bigger batteries than Apple's yet somehow Apple managed better life. Power management, processor efficiency and functionality limitations, as well as user responsibility -- as with all Apple products -- doesn't make this that hard to believe as your sarcasm would imply.

I understand, with so many negative perspectives in this thread, that you would read my post as sarcasm, but no sarcasm was intended. If the AW3 includes cellular connectivity, I will be buying it when pre-orders open. And if it were ever made available, my imagined 46 inch model would be my first choice.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Only 3 hours is an eternity compared to what it would be with a cellular modem. I agree though the watch is already stretching the practicality of many of it's features and is marginally on the edge of the average consumer not buying into the promise. Apparently though they have made a profitable compromise that appears to be paying off for both them and the customer.
Once again you appear to have no idea what you are talking about.

I use my LTE watch for calls, and 3 hours is in no way an eternity compared to my battery life.

You don't seem to grasp that adding LTE is not some sort of crazy idea that Apple just came up with that is going to zap battery life down to nothing. Other companies already do it. The Gear S3 can often go two days or MORE with LTE on.

I have no doubt Apple can do at least as well as the watches that already have LTE; in fact I expect them to do better.

Mike
[doublepost=1491259029][/doublepost]
it might connect once for a second to sync a few things, sure but no way it is accessing LTE all day and night on a watch battery. Just saying because I actually designed hardware with these modems in them for gps trackers and the power budget is way too high for such a small battery as what fits in a smart watch. Does it work a few times for a few seconds? sure but not as a functional component of a watch for all day life.
I don't really care what you do or claim to do: you don't seem to grasp the current reality. I have an actual LTE watch that is connected, getting notifications on-demand, as well as texts and calls, all day long. My LG Sport smartwatch is not even the best LTE watch out there: the Samsung Gear S3 does better.

I don't care if you accept it or not. But please stop spouting that what is already being done, can't be done by Apple.

Mike

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Once again you appear to have no idea what you are talking about.

I use my LTE watch for calls, and 3 hours is in no way an eternity compared to my battery life.

You don't seem to grasp that adding LTE is not some sort of crazy idea that Apple just came up with that is going to zap battery life down to nothing. Other companies already do it. The Gear S3 can often go two days or MORE with LTE on.

I have no doubt Apple can do at least as well as the watches that already have LTE; in fact I expect them to do better.

Mike
[doublepost=1491259029][/doublepost]
I don't really care what you do or claim to do: you don't seem to grasp the current reality. I have an actual LTE watch that is connected, getting notifications on-demand, as well as texts and calls, all day long. My LG Sport smartwatch is not even the best LTE watch out there: the Samsung Gear S3 does better.

I don't care if you accept it or not. But please stop spouting that what is already being done, can't be done by Apple.

Mike

I don't believe any of your claims about what you have and do with it either.

tehransenf

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2017
tehran

Based on supply chain analysis following a trip to Asia, Susquehanna Financial Group analyst Christopher Rolland (via Barron's) believes Apple's third-generation Apple Watch may introduce cellular connectivity, a feature that's been long rumored for the device.

Specifically, Rolland suggests the 2017 Apple Watch will include a SIM card for LTE connectivity and that the next-generation device will be promoted alongside the AirPods.

apple-watch-airpods.jpg
Apple has likely been working to add a cellular modem to the Apple Watch for several years, but has been unable to do so due to excessive battery drain. In early 2016, rumors suggested the second-generation Apple Watch would include cellular connectivity, but that didn't pan out.

Mid-2016 rumors indicated Apple was researching low-power cellular chips for future versions of the Apple Watch, but was unable to make it work for the second-generation device, so the technology could potentially be ready for inclusion in a 2017 Apple Watch.

The addition of standalone cellular connectivity would further untether the Apple Watch from the iPhone, a process that started with the introduction of GPS in the Apple Watch Series 2. With a cellular connection, Apple Watch owners would not need an iPhone nearby to do things like make phone calls and stream Apple Music content, but a separate data plan would likely be needed.

Other Apple Watch 3 rumors have pointed towards a modest update that focuses mainly on under-the-hood hardware improvements to boost performance and battery life, and while we haven't heard much information on a third-generation device, a refresh could come alongside the iPhone 8 in September.

Today's report from Rolland also touches on some previously mentioned 2017 rumors, suggesting all three rumored iPhone models will feature wireless charging capabilities and will be charged through pads manufactured by Pegatron and Foxconn. "There is some skepticism regarding charging efficiency," writes Rolland, "as it may take 3 hours to receive a full charge."

While long-range contactless wireless charging was originally rumored to be included in the 2017 iPhone, later information has centered on inductive charging methods, which would require a separate charging mat or other similar charging device.

The analyst also believes Apple will eliminate the Home button in the iPhone 8, but the Lightning port will stay. He suggests there has been "serious consideration" for removing the Lightning port in 2018, however.

Rolland does not have an established track record for predicting Apple's product plans, but the information he's shared today is not outlandish and echoes past rumors. Still, cellular connectivity for the Apple Watch has been rumored multiple times in the past, so it's worth viewing today's note with some skepticism until additional information is available.

Article Link: Analyst Suggests Third-Generation Apple Watch Will Include Cellular Connectivity
[doublepost=1492495769][/doublepost]http://tehransenf.ir jobs website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.