Analytics shows 100% direct traffic - iWeb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dpcustoms, May 4, 2011.

1. dpcustoms macrumors newbie

Hopefully someone can help here, I've looked around the web and can't find a solution. Here goes;

My analytics is working except for my 'traffic' stats.
    I'm getting 100% direct traffic, so I can't tell where my visitors are coming from.

I've had an iWeb website hosted through godaddy for over a year. Works great. I added my Google analytics tracking code to an HTML snippet on each page of my site months ago.

I'm on 10.5.8 by the way.

My site is dpcustomcycles.com

Any advice would really help! Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What exactly is your problem? How do you know your "traffic" stats aren't working?

3. manueld macrumors 6502

You're probably not getting any organic traffic at all, after looking at your site, you barely have any content on it besides photos. Try adding some alt tags on your photos, improve your page titles, you know basic seo.

my 2cents

4. dpcustoms thread starter macrumors newbie

Google Analytics has the ability to show where your website traffic is coming from. It usually shows separate hits from referring sites, search engines or direct traffic. Regardless what content is in a site, you would expect a variety of traffic sources.

My issue is, I'm showing 100% 'Direct' traffic. This is a known problem for IWeb users and I'm hoping someone has a solution?????

5. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Hello

all your direct traffic may be coming from your Magazine article?

Sign your self up to googles webmaster tools, It doesnt tell you very much, but it lets you tell google about your site, and you find out how google views your site a little easier.

I would agree with the other poster that you need better content. were not saying that your site is rubbish to look at but unless you already have a hugely recognised brand.. eg Apple.. you cant have a very plain page and expect people to find it and land on it.

my top tips as a web DIY'er.

1)sort your Meta Tags out including page titles. eg "DP custom motorbikes - For Sale"

have a look at other sites to see what they do, and which ones work better than others.

2)use better sentences packed with relevant keywords.. eg.

cool bike to buy - rubbish! how many forums talk about a cool bike to buy you selling push bikes toddler bikes?

buy a cool DP custom motorcycle - much better you reinforce "custom motorcycle".

3)Repete AND rephrase. Mentioning something once on you page doesn't do a lot. If you mention it more than once it must be important so your page gets higher ranking on that keyword, but google is very cleaver about this so you cant repete the same thing again and again and again hence Rephrase.

4) get more links! the more links to your site the better search engines will rate it, but this takes a little time

5) Read Googles own search engine listing tips, it can be a bit of a trawl but it explains 80% of what you need to know for free!

6)consider adwords search "google adwords voucher" I started of with £20 for nothing. be very specific with your search terms so no "cool motorbike" but "custom harley motorbike builder" would be better. This taught me more about searches, and got a bit of traffic and interest to my site.

7) Label everything, its all keywords. eg DP_custom_harley1.jpg not bike1.jpg Its extra faf, but it all adds up.

There is always more to do, and tweek but these things got me started, and hopefully you learning more about where you are going right, and wrong.

Wheaty

6. manueld macrumors 6502

7. digitalField macrumors regular

yea i havnt looked at your site yet.. so i am not going to comment on SEO or anythign else.. instead ill just give you a quick n easy way to tell if it can detect traffic other then 'direct'

assuming you have facebook or twitter...
    Post a status update to either of them ( or both ) with a link to your site in it.. then ask some friends to click on it.

if you have friends and they click on it then you will see facebook or twitter appear as a referring site.

then you will know if there is a problem with iweb and your analytics

M