Analyze a kernel panic?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by REVOLUTION GUNS, Sep 17, 2008.

1. REVOLUTION GUNS macrumors newbie

I've been a Windows technician for several years, and I'm quite familiar with the Windows Debugging Tools' ability to analyze a minidump after a system has BSODed. It's quite useful.

I'm taking on some of the administrative roles for my company's 20-25 Apple computers. All but one are integrated in AD and running Tiger.

The machine that I just set up as the first 10.5 box in our environment is currently being used for some of our Creative department employees who need to run a script to convert images created/edited in various applications to JPG. I'm not extremely clear on the utility of the script, but as I'm 50% of the support for these users, I'm taking a crash course in AppleScript. (I was curious to learn it anyway, but now I'm being paid to do so! Victoly!)

Anyway, the Mac Pro with Leopard has been deployed and has been crunching images for a few days with no issues. However, I just received an e-mail from one of the Mac users informing me that the machine experienced a kernel panic while running our Make JPG script.

I'm in an interesting position, as I'm not yet well-versed enough in AppleScript to run through the script and determine if there's some difference between Tiger's AppleScript and Leopard's that's causing the problem (though that seems quite unlikely to me).

I will likely pursue hardware diagnostics to be on the safe side, but does anyone know 1) if the OS X kernel dumps any useful information upon panicking and 2) of a tool or method for parsing that dump file and determining what may've caused the crash?

Thanks!

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

3. REVOLUTION GUNS thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, thanks. Though, this isn't so much a development question as a troubleshooting/OS functionality question. Appreciate the input, and I'll look through that documentation to see if there are any more details about looking into kernel panics.

Looking forward to some more responses.

4. REVOLUTION GUNS thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on, there have to be some technicians here. No ideas?

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Library>Logs>Panic log. At least that's where I found the info on why my daughter's iBook was going into panic mode.

6. REVOLUTION GUNS thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, Batt! Thanks for the lead. That's incredibly useful.

Hmm, in the Logs directory I see a "CrashReporter" directory and a "PanicReporter" directory. Going to check them out...

Looks like CrashReporter is where crash logs for Vine Server live.

PanicReporter has two dated log files (extension .panic). One of them points to WindowServer, the other to Finder. The one that points to Finder also says that the kernel loadable module in the backtrace was com.apple.filesystems.smbfs... looks like this may be related to the network, which would make sense.

I'll do some research. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas?