Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acklikesmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I'm a bit confused about how anamorphic is turning up on different programs devices.

I've been trying to find the best encoding method for my appletv iphone and computer.

My two test files were with Battlestar Galactica Razer DVD.

I used HB to encode a 5000kbps anamorphic .mp4 (h.264,aac,prologicII) file, looked great (proper aspect) on apple tv, quicktime, frontrow 2, vlc (didn't try iphone but too big anyways).

But the same file does not have the right aspect ratio, looks all horizontally stretched (and get info on itunes says 1011 x 480). Full screen in itunes looks screwy too.

I then dropped the VIDEO_TS folder into Visual hub (the new one that can do 5.1) and it encoded the same h.264 .mp4 file but at a fixed 852x480.

This file of course looks good on everything .

BTW i have all the latest software updates and atv take 2.

Should I care? I'm kind of obsessive about these things and i want the best. Also, Handbrake can encode faster than VH on my MBP C2D and can do chapters.

(Supposedly Visual hub can't do chapters, but if i press the chapter button on the remote it seems to work (comparing to HB file) just no labels or anything).

Any insight? I'm not sure why quicktime and front row 2 can do the anamorphic, but not itunes (like when you double click to open a movie in itunes).

THanks,

ACK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.