AnandTech: 2011 Midrange SSD Roundup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JR1993, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JR1993 macrumors regular

2. snapper64 macrumors regular

3. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

No problem.

Actually, i saw you just bought your mbp, and wondered why you went for the 2.2 over the 2.0, do you have particular needs for it or do you just think it is worth the upgrade?

4. snapper64 macrumors regular

I spend a lot of time in Photoshop so the improved performance is useful. The upgraded graphics card with the 2.2GHz was also near the top on my list.

I'm still debating which SSD to buy though. I'm leaning towards the Vertex 3 at the minute, as despite the potential issues, the performance and 3yr warranty look really good.

I'll be running an optibay setup and plan to create a clone partition on my HD of the SSD boot drive. That way if the SSD does fail I can just boot from the HD and carry on as normal until the SSD is replaced. With that in mind SSD reliability isn't as much of a concern for me.

5. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I will be using the HDD in an enclosure as a backup/media drive, then if something goes wrong I can swap it back in.

However, being able to update the firmware of the intel while in OS X is a plus, and performance doesnt seem to be too different.

Im currently debating 2.0 or 2.2. I dont do much intensive, but as I wish to keep for about 4 years or more, wondering if it is worth it. As im in UK, assuming a 4 year life, the 2.2 processor and better GPU is £0.20 per day. Hmmm, might have a play in the apple store, see if I notice a difference.

6. snapper64 macrumors regular

If you're planning to keep for that length of time and can afford the upgrade, I'd go for it.

7. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

I will see how much I have in my bank once my birthday money has cleared ;)

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

OWC drives are far from the mainstream. Plus, the Vertex 3 120's number would be almost identical.

I'm a Vertex 3 user and I love mine. No issues at all and performance is staggering sometimes.

9. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you need to update firmware for that? (Im deciding between vertex 3 and intel 510)

Also, side question, Your 2.0GHz MBP has 1600mhz ram, when I looked at the specs of the processor, I thought it only took 1333mhz, and the 2.2 took 1600mhz???

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel's install media is a an .ISO that you burn to a disc and then boot from that. You can't update the FW when in OS X if we are accurate, plus the FW upgrade wipes the SSD IIRC.

OCZ's SSDs can now be updated in Linux as well so that makes it pretty easy too.

11. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I maybe got that wrong...

I think it will probably be intel for me, just seems like from what ive heard, they are very reliable. I probably wouldnt even notice the difference between SATA II and III for my uses.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intels are great, I didn't mean they aren't ;) If I had to buy an SSD now, I would go with Intel 320 Series, even if I had SATA 6Gb/s port. Unbeatable reliability and fairly fast random speeds. I think people are too concerned about these benchmarks, in real world you won't notice much, if any, difference.

13. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have looked at the 320. I dont know, I have a 6G port, why buy a 3G SSD when I can have a 6G SSD. It isnt THAT much more expensive.

I plan to run my macbook pro for about 2/3 weeks anyway to see what HDD space I use. Then I will get a SSD to match that, so 120GB if I can live with it, or the 160GB 320 if I need that. However on my windows pc now with 70GB used, I think 120GB will be fine with an external HDD for media anyway.