Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
It's here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review

Some surprising comments re: battery life.
The display gets kudos while the camera gets panned (pun intended). Will see how much 4.4.1 improves this.

In my opinion, AT's reviews are the ones that matter. I enjoy The Verge and their ilk, but they are clearly the minor leagues in this regard.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
In my opinion, AT's reviews are the ones that matter. I enjoy The Verge and their ilk, but they are clearly the minor leagues in this regard.
I agree.

Back in the day, I used PhoneScoop daily and was a member of HowardForums. Both suck now just like PhoneArena. Now I use GSMArena for my daily phone news and AT do have the most concise reviews.

I dont really like David Pierce from The Verge. He seems like an Apple fanboy all the way. He gave a nice review of the HTC One but simply loathed at Samsung Galaxy S4's plastic like that was the only thing important to him. I do like Josh Topolsky and his wit and his chemistry with Matias Duarte (ex-Palm/current Google employee).

I'm starting to like video reviews from Android Authority and other Android-centric sites as they are surprisingly are not biased toward any Android OEM and very objective when they need to.

OhHaiThere

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
USA
The display gets kudos while the camera gets panned (pun intended). Will see how much 4.4.1 improves this.

The review is great. I started reading last night but didn't finish yet.

As far as the camera improvements, check out this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1681615/

Looks improved to me. Phones have a tendency to overexpose and it seems this was taken down a notch to look much more natural like my mirrorless. At least that's the biggest difference I see...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Battery life is pretty good on my nexus 5.

I get a good 6 hours "real time" usage and 9 hours standby. Good enough to make it through a 6am-8pm day. This is with heavy use.

The key for me was to disable automatic lighting. Keep my nexus at around 35% brightness.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Nicer battery life than I was expecting.

Lol at my gs4 Ge on the bottom of the battery chart.

Not a surprise for those of us using Nexus 5's. Some iPhone 5 and 5S users on here were making some outrageous claims that don't line up with either this review or what Nexus 5 owners have been saying though. :p (At least in regards to battery life.)

Only thing that surprised me about this review was where the iPhone 5C ended up in some of the testing. Wasn't expecting it to out-perform the iPhone 5S in anything. Pretty impressive.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
I agree.

Back in the day, I used PhoneScoop daily and was a member of HowardForums. Both suck now just like PhoneArena. Now I use GSMArena for my daily phone news and AT do have the most concise reviews.

I dont really like David Pierce from The Verge. He seems like an Apple fanboy all the way. He gave a nice review of the HTC One but simply loathed at Samsung Galaxy S4's plastic like that was the only thing important to him. I do like Josh Topolsky and his wit and his chemistry with Matias Duarte (ex-Palm/current Google employee).

I'm starting to like video reviews from Android Authority and other Android-centric sites as they are surprisingly are not biased toward any Android OEM and very objective when they need to.

I agree with you on David's S4 take. He came off sounding very capricious regarding the plastic material. I don't mind The Verge and their reviewers, it's just that after reading reviews on GSM Arena and AnandTech it's obvious that The Verge is far more subjective than scientific. As I said earlier; when it comes to product reviews they're the minor league.

This got me thinking about the never-ending discusision of plasticky materials vs. metal or some other premium construction. Most people I see with phones have them in plastic cases; that includes the overwhelming majority of "premium" built devices like iPhones, HTC Ones, Lumias, and Sony's Z1. I'm all for top-notch materials, however, I do realize that my phone (and most of the phone buying public's) will end up in a plastic shell.

On one level I should be grateful, how else would we get all of those Jony Ive parodies on YouTube?

Last edited:

ivanwinipad

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
The key for me was to disable automatic lighting. Keep my nexus at around 35% brightness.
nK5yPF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.